• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

less cfm=more cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tc3 Toad

How come my aero7+ blower 10cfm cools 5c cooler than my 80mm tornado 80cfm? Could it be the air pressure that the blower has?

these tests are on the aero7+ heatsink.

Conventional fans are flawed when it comes to heatsink cooling. They miss the center completely. The Aero7 however blows air evenly across the entire heatsink. I would draw you a picture but I'm left handed.:D

ya but the tornado is lifted off the heatsink about an inch so i would figure that it would get ait into the middle because it blows so much

Air pressure is one possible contributor.
Another is the lack of a "dead spot" under the fan hub.

Kinda figures that the most of the fans we use for air cooling have the least air moving right in the critical spot- the center of the heatsink! lol

I would say that the combination of air pressure (which I believe is generally higher with squirrel cage blower fans) and lack of the dead spot right in the center accounts for the difference.

i guess so, but it is weird that people continue to buy loud fans when they can have better cooling with quiet ones.

EDIT: i wonder if anyone has tried a blower on a slk-900u?

I have a 80cfm 120mm fan in a custom window on the side of my case and I noticed when I 7V it and slow it way down my CPU temps didn't go up but maybe .5 or 1C compared to the high speed stock screaming setting.

Not sure why..maybe the CPU is getting enough cool air?

If I turn if off though the temp jumps 4-5C.

Anyway it's a good thing cause it's really quiet and I get the same results as when it was running full blast.

I have seen a article some where that said that too much air would bounce of the top of the fins and slow the outher air down or hinder it or somthing. i will see if i can find it.

EDIT:cant find it.

Last edited:
Back