• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The noise!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
lol.

I have been reconfiguring some stuff today and brought the systems I was working on into my office to work on them.

Work done:
removed AX7/Tornado HSF from my test rig and reinstalled my water cooling setup with the new pump and ClearFlex tubing.

Replaced stock nb hsf on Epox 8rda+ with Vantec Iceberg and swapped cheap heatsink and Delta for the AX7/Tornado

So I have had small high performance fans running up here......
I would need a louder tv if I were to KEEP a High Performance air cooling setup up here!!!!

Man- I can barely hear myself think:eek:

It has been a GREAT reminder of why I went water cooling in the first place though: the AX7/Tornado combo does get temps almost as good as my main rig but at much, MUCH louder noise levels- and about 200 mhz less overclock....on a better mobo.

To anyone who has a high performance air cooled computer:
I don't know how you do it!

I's no biggie, I'm going watercooling because I want lower temps and the ability to use more vcore. Yes, roger I'm finally taking the plunge :)

My tornado really doesn't bother me even at a full 12volts. The only time it's somewhat bothersome is when I'm sleeping.

i have a high performance computer, 1700+ oced to 2.1ghz(I would oc more but chepo RAM). Mine is not all that loud, i can sit right next to it and hear fine. 8 fans total.

I'm sure I'm leaving a fair amount of performance on the table by staying with my AX7 and my mid performance fan.

But the noise isn't bad, and I'm simply not hardcore enough to spend the time and money to get a water cooling setup.

And with my luck, I'd end up posting about how I came home and found my computer full of water.

And just about everytime I start to think about a cooling upgrade, I'm able to boost my performance by spending $50.00 or so on the latest good overclocking AMD chip instead.

But I agree with you about the really high performance fans. There is no way I would be able to live with one, and they probably do drive people to water or other methods of cooling.

On my way to bed now, but just to clarify-
The High Performance part I was referring to is the fans-

It is very possible to have a High Performance computer cooled by air and not have mind-numbing noise :)

The 60x38 Delta I had running at 8000 rpm and the 80mm Tornado I currently have 2 feet away from my head (in a closed case) however.....

LOL It's 3am in the morning and guess what kept me up tonight? My damn case fans. I'm 4 feet away from them and it's driving me nuts.

rogerdugans said:
60x38 Delta I had running at 8000 rpm and the 80mm Tornado I currently have 2 feet away from my head (in a closed case) however.....
that's like having icepicks gouged beneath your toenails (with your shoes on)

hehe. But seriously, I freakin' hate loud fans.
If I don't have to check the power LEDs to discover if my 'puter is on, then it's too loud.

Back