• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do speedholes make your comp. cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

highschoolsucks

Registered
If I were to take a shotgun or an ice pick to the side of my case, would the extra ventilation help cool my computer down?

Note: I am being serious.

er....no.

You would be much better off to cut some holes with a dremel, and put some fans in them.

Probably not unless you have that much heat in your case that a tiny hole is going to make that much of a difference. Now if you set it up with a few fans in a layout for proper air flow for cooling you'll see a difference.

Ffats said:
Wow, you're so original.. considering this has been around since Jesus.

he might not have seen it jeez.

That's it!!! And I say that when the simpsons said it it was funny not you.

he may not have been trying to be funny.

yea in answer to you post what other fans do you have in your computer? You prolly don't want to do that unless you put some kind of fan in the holes.

LOL! I think someone has been watching too much Simpsons!

Well, I think it's best as someone mentioned to make some blowholes and add some huge blowholes or something because your temps won't show such a huge drop from just punching holes. With blowholes it'll look cleaner and work more effectively, at least it did for me. You should consider using holesaws since it's more clean and faster.

Speaking of gunpowder-assisted vent hole creation (GAVHC), I did see someone who used this method to help their car breath easier. They had used a .22 calibre rifle to "open up" their air filter pan.

The same method could be used for a case. One could even successfully argue the .22 method is much more accurate than the 12 guage approach. In fact, and only hypothetically (of course!) a spouse would be able to argue that purchasing firearms was simply another method of augmenting one's toolbox.
Let's see... I can now make a .22 hole, a .38 hole a .45 hole, 9mm, 10mm...

I wonder of Lowe's or Home Depot has a firearms department...

Yes, I WAS being serious. Notice the little note I left: "Note: I am being serious" Could I have been any more clearer than that?

Anyway, my setup has one intake fan in the bottom front and two exhaust fans in the top back of the case. This is standard, I assume. Any way to make it more efficient? I got a system temp of about 37c and a cpu temp of 55c load.(I'm getting cooling for the CPU).

CrashOveride said:

Not always.
I agree. I've an article I did for the front page that shows that sometimes it can be better to have the case side on. The gist of it is I set all of my case fans to output and ran a (mostly) sealed duct to the CPU's input fan so only external air would get to the CPU. Then I plugged up all the holes and seams in the case that I possibly could. The end result was a "wind tunnel" effect on the CPU duct which made it easier for my fan to move the maximum amount of air. And if my CPU fan stopped for whatever reason the "wind tunnel" would give me extra time by pulling at least some air into the case and over the heatsink. I can think of two times it probably saved me from making a keychain. The full article can be read here.

eobard said:

I agree. I've an article I did for the front page that shows that sometimes it can be better to have the case side on. The gist of it is I set all of my case fans to output and ran a (mostly) sealed duct to the CPU's input fan so only external air would get to the CPU. Then I plugged up all the holes and seams in the case that I possibly could. The end result was a "wind tunnel" effect on the CPU duct which made it easier for my fan to move the maximum amount of air. And if my CPU fan stopped for whatever reason the "wind tunnel" would give me extra time by pulling at least some air into the case and over the heatsink. I can think of two times it probably saved me from making a keychain. The full article can be read here.

Yep, that is one of many (well ok maybe only a few) instances where this is the case.

Cjwinnit said:

Without comment I shall leave This link for the benefit of the thread. :)

Sigh.

First: Thanks to CrashOveride for helping me try to sort out some pic hosting problems and to BigRed for putting the pics up for me (finally!!!).

Second: Did somebody say speed holes....
CASEFRNT.JPG

And everyone knows a good computer needs a good central processing unit....
CASEBACK.JPG

Third (but not least) thanks to my girlfriend for putting paint to door to do something I'd wanted done for a long time (I'm waaayy too unartistic to do it myself).

Back