• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woho! Active South Bridge cooling :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

Well today I had some extra time to blow so I decided to 'fix' my sb heatsink. I am running the nf7-s v2 so a heatsink is needed on the sb in the 1st place. I had bought the vantec iceberq thing that comes with 2 heatsinks and one active. I had the larger passive on attached to the SB via that black heat tape that comes with the package. Well I have been hearing some crackling in frozen throne after about 1-2 hours.

So I took my original nb cooler that come with the mobo and lapped it (it really needed it) then I took the active iceberq cooler and lapped it. I sanded the nb and sb just a little to make sure and then blew the off. I applied some arctic ceramique (almost out!) and did some supper glue on 2 corners of the sb to attach it. I also had to lengthen the wires on the sb cooler so that they could reach their 2 prong plug on the motherboard.

Ah just felt like typing it out (someone needs to recognize my work :D. I will see if I am able to get a higher fsb later tonight but I think my limit is my ram. But I am perfectly happy getting 230+ fsb with corsair 3200.

My brother just left today for college. He managed to make off with the dvd player, vcr ( I rented a movie and then was like hmm...no vcr, and one of my system fans!!! RAAA! Oh I recently got my 4th star :p

nice - so its worked a treat then? no more apparent sound issues..as im planning on buying a couple of those zalman nb heatsinks get cooling happy with them - although *touch wood* going from 2.45 to the drivers that come with the mobo seems to have solved my problem anyway.

congrats on your 4th star :santa2:

I dont have a digital camera. I hope to snag a friends soon this week and snap many pics of my rig. Stay tuned.

Back