• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Volts needed than before, why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldred_85

Registered
Well basically Im now having to pump more voltage through to get my 1700 to run stable. Where as before i could happily get 2.1ghz at 1.65, now i need at last 1.7 to even get a boot, then i have stability issues too! Whats going on? Have i killed it already?

Any sort of remedy?

Relative n00b, Dave

It may be that some sort of electromigration has set in already. Since you do not seem to be using a huge ammount of voltage, it seems unlikely...but that is the only explanation that I can think of. I do not think there is any type of remedy, have you changed any settings in your BIOS like memory ratio, disable or enable speed spectrum, etc...?

Did you drop the computer (off or on, makes no difference) or nudge or put pressure on your heatsink?

If you do you might have loosened the thermal grease or whatever TIM your using. I nudged my barton 2500's heatsink once (installing a component) and when I rebooted my load temp went from 58C to 61C. Also what are your temps and are you doing any OCing?

Trying re-seating the CPU and re-apply the thermal compound, re-install the heatsink/fan.

I switched fans on the heatsink and had a similar thing happen. This is most likely what happened with your setup.

Well, I did try to see what i could get out the thing, so i went all the way up to 1.8v - max. But I wouldnt have thought that would effect anything:(. But im running quite happily at 2ghz(160x12.5) at default voltage.
Could running the cpu hard on too lower voltage cause any side effects? Im just wondering.. Also would heat really do that? Im at 44*c idle, but usually its more like 42*c.
Oh, and thank you for your replies:)

Thermally your fine. Also keep increasing the voltage, if you get less stable decrese it, voltage doesn't mean a better overclock, If I take my barton above 2.000V to 2.025 my stability goes from like 4 days (and counting) to like 4 hours.

Back