• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overlocking Athlon XP 2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenBeetroot

I have 1 day before buying a new CPU, and i want to choose right :) . I'm thinkin' about AMD Athlon 2600+ with Barton core, but... i havent found any information about overclocking this model, maybe u could help me. How much can it easily overclock with Spire Falcoln Whisper Rock IV cooler?

My info:

MSI K7N2 DELTA-L

Princeton DDR 256Mb 400MHz ( later i'll buy another to get dual ddr function)

P.S. Before writting an answer please take a look at this http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20030604180222.html

Please answer as faster as u can.
Don't be upsed...i don't know english very vell...

Thank you!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

far as I know thats new, so im sure information on steppings and how far people have taken them is scarce...you could try the front pages CPU database, doubt it will be there though

:santa2:

Last edited:
you probly wont be able to overclock alot because the vcore starts at 1.65v, but who knows maybe you'll get lucky. even if it doesnt overclock alot it will run fast ne way so go for it.

...Provided you get a decent cooling solution

Take a look at a Thermalright SK-7 and a decent 80mm fan to go with it - probably gives better cooling than that heatsink as it is all copper.

Using that SK-7 you can probably get an AMD xp 2500+ up to 2.3Ghz.

SK-7 is to noisy for me ( i need 35 db or lower ), and it costs too much.

I wanted to ask one more question: what and how much i can overclock in it only using software, by not touching cpu ( connecting contacs ant so on)?

I really would recommend an SK-7 if you plan to overclock by any appreciable amount - and they aren't that expensive - $22 from newegg.com. They are only noisy if you put noisy fans on :rolleyes: so you can put a low CFM 80mm on and still get adequate cooling.

Whoa! Hold your horses cowboy!

I have a 2600+ running at 2.5 Ghz, and that's with just upping the multiplier! I would try the lower multi/higher fsb way but I already killed a stick of Crucial 2700 by doing that... Grab yourself a 2600+ and an SLK-900, then O/C the crap out of it. I'm using watercoolingbut with a decent air-cooled system you should be able to get around where I am. Just check the CPU database and see some of the overclocks some other fellas are getting with the 2600+!

Back