• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan in the bottom on a Lian-Li PC65

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fros

Registered
Is it posible to mount a fan (80x80x25) or bigger in the bottom of a Lian-Li PC65. I have got a window that i don't whont to mes up.

I wouldn't see why not but make sure you have enough space under the case for a good filter and air to flow in, that fan will blow whatever is on your floor in.

Personally I don't think that it would really give you any benefit at all. The fan is going to suck all the dust into your case off of the floor, so you would have to put an air filter on it. Also, there won't be much room between the bottom of the case and your floor, so the fan won't be pushing much air anyways, then the air filter will cut it down to close to nothing unless you install a obnoxious loud fan there. It's certaintly possible, but I wouldn't do it.

I plan to do this in my PC-60 with a Vantec Stealth 120mm fan. The case has feet that lift it a little more than a quarter-inch off a hard surface, and since it can draw air from all four sides of the case, I don't see that it would impede airflow as fatally as Sterculus implies. You definitely will need a filter on there, though. And don't place your computer on carpet unless you want a new dead fan to play with. :)

Heh don't spill any pop on your desk. I can just see that 120mm fan sucking it up and spraying it across the contents of your case now ;)

Deathknight said:
Heh don't spill any pop on your desk. I can just see that 120mm fan sucking it up and spraying it across the contents of your case now ;)

At a non air conditioned lan party I went to recently, they have huge blowers to cycle air, and it was raining extremely hard and besides the leaky roof and the waterfall on the breaker box the blwers pulled in water by the gallon and sprayed it over every machine in the place.

Well, a 120mm fan is about 4 1/2" wide, minus a 2" hub which would be Pi X 2.25^2 - Pi X 1 ^ 2 = 12.8 Square inches. With a 1/4" clearance there is 3.5 Square inches around the hole. You'd wanna be up at least an inch to match the fan intake area, maybe a little more to get max airflow out of the fan.

Good point Mizzery. To fix it one could add larger feet to the bottom of the computer to boost it another 3/4". I'm wondering if there's another way to do it though...

Back