• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help ocing XP1700 and NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malph

Registered
I just put together the system shown in the sig. and everything works fine but I would like more out of the CPU.
I am running 10 x 200fsb stable but as soon as I try to bring the multi up to 10.5 it will not post. I either get the siren noise or a message about "CPU unusable or something has changed"
I go back to multi =10 and everything is fine.
CPU is XP1700 DUT3C JIUHB 0308WPMW
NF7-S ver 2 bios 18
CPU temp is 38 under load, sys. board is 32deg.
Memory timings at 8-3-3-3 using 3/3 FSB/Dram (400) using Dimm slot 2 and 3 in dual channel mode.
CPU fan and overheat protection disabled in BIOS.
Vcore set at 1.8, all other voltages at default. Higher Vcore doesn't help.
I read something about a L12 mod to change default CPU speed from 133 to 166.

Help appreciated.

Malph

You shouldn't need to do the l12 mod to get a higher mult. The l12 mod will just help you get a higher fsb. It sounds like your temps are pretty good, and thats a pretty decent amount of vcore you are already running. You may want to just try a different multiplier first because some people experience odd behavior on the nf7-s in which some mults don't work right.

You shouldn't have to run that ram at Cas 3.0. PC3500 should be able to run Cas 2.0 at PC3200 speeds. Have you tried lowering the fsb and seeing if 10.5 will work at all? Like setting the fsb to 133 and putting the multiplier at 10.5. Or have you tried 11 yet? It could be that your motherboard is just really stubborn about 10.5.

Thanks for the replies
I tried 10.5 x 166 and it posted. Then 10.5 x 190 and it posted.
But 10.5 and 200 and I can't post. I'm stuck at about 2 GHz.

I realize my memory timings are very relaxed, I was just trying to rule the memory out.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

this is what has worked for me in the past when the siren started. Reset to default. Set the maximum voltage you are comfortable with, then slowly increase FSB .
I tried 10.5 x 166 and it posted. Then 10.5 x 190 and it posted.
when you reach 195, then go one digit at a time. My MB just does not like a big jump in FSB

Also try going to 200x11 instead of 200x10.5. Some motherboards do not like certain settings, and your board may not like that configuration.

You could also try keeping the FSB at 166mhz and raising your multiplier higher. This might give a better indication of where your limits would be in terms of your overclock.

Mine was fussy on the 10.5 mult. also. It didn't matter how much voltage iI thru at it, it was not going to post on the 10.5 setting

Thanks for the input guys!
I wish I could try some of these ideas but I can't post now.
The last thing I did was run memtest for an hour without errors and then shut it down.
Tried restarting it a few hours later and no post and no beeps.
I got into the BIOS once but it locked up on me before I could do anything. I haven't been able to access the BIOS since.
The red LED comes on with the power supply switch and the green LED comes on when I hit the power button. The hard drives spin for a few seconds but thats it. The monitor won't come on.
I let it sit overnight with the CMOS jumper in place and the battery out. Still nothing.

I'm going to try swapping out the CPU and memory and see what happens.

Malph

you have a nice system there, boy I have no idea....maybe change the MB battery or at least measure it or your bios chip is toast??

I took the CPU out to inspect and everything looked fine. The AS3 impression was even etc. and it wasn't spread all over the place.
So I tried an athlon t-bird 800 on the board and it posts. I'm thinking my XP1700 CPU is dead.
I put the original 1700 back in and it posts also. WTF

My best quess is that some artic silver was on the cpu core and it may have shorted something out. But this was days after I had installed the chip?

Anyway, now I can get back to my original problem.

My problem seems like it was the 10 x multi. I was able to load windows right up to 18 x 133 (2394) so my CPU was not the problem.
I set the multi at 12 and raised the FSB slowly up to 200 while raising the v-core along the way.

Right now I have the following settings:
CPU: 12 x 200, CPU interface enabled, 2.0Vcore, 45 deg. load
Memory: 6-3-3-2, 2.6V
Prime 95 runs stable for an hour.
With the v-core any lower I get errors in Prime95

I am new to ocing and would like to know if you think I can take it further and what I need to do.

Thanks for your help.

Back