• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b here, question about xp 2100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hardCor

hello there, i was wondering about the if the xp2100 is a locked cpu and also how do i determine if its a thbred or palamino?

thank you

You can tell the difference between the Palomino and Tbred cores just by looking at the chip. Palomino chips have square dies whereas the Tbred chips have rectangular dies. Also, Palomino chips have the stepping, date, etc. info on the die itself while the Tbred has this info on a sticker on the organic packaging of the chip.

All Tbred chips are unlocked (L1 bridges are closed) however, Palomino chips are not. Manipulation of the multiplier then is dependent on the motherboard. Most new boards can change the multiplier without any modification to the chip.

~THT

Ok so if im running on an Asus A7n8x deluxe, which allows for you to change the multi dependant on the CPU being unlocked or not. Then without poping off the heatsink and looking at the cpu, would i be correct in assuming that i have a palamino since i cannot increase the multi?

Cor

Not neccessarily, The 2100 Tbred Higher multis are unlocked from the Factory such as 15X 16X 17X, (14X is reserved and cannot be accessed.) However to get the lower multis on a 2100 Tbred, You need to bridge the last L3 bridge to the right on the CPU, I think.

Do a search for Unlocking the Tbred B Lower Multies and see what you get. There was a really good thread here with links to pics etc. on the whole deal.

Running WCPUid will tell you whether you have a Palamino or Tbred without having to remove the HS/Fan.

For an original Palamino the Model# will be 6 and for a Tbred it will be 8. There is a further distinction between the Tbred A and Tbred B as the A will be Family 680 and the B will be 681. I'm not sure of the Family Number for the Palamino. It is not listed in the AMD tech doc I used for this info. AMD muddies the waters by showing an XP2100 as a Palamino or Tbred A or B so it could be any of the 3 although the only for sure Tbred "A" I know of is the XP2200.

hardCor said:
Ok so if im running on an Asus A7n8x deluxe, which allows for you to change the multi dependant on the CPU being unlocked or not. Then without poping off the heatsink and looking at the cpu, would i be correct in assuming that i have a palamino since i cannot increase the multi?

Cor

There's a few free/shareware programs you can d/l that will help you determine which of the two chips you have, either by the model number, or some will even list the process used in the core (18 or 13 micron...T-Bred is 13...).

A search of the Forums, perhaps in "Other Software" might turn some useful links up.... I'm at work right now, or I'd post a couple now.

Cheers!

B.

Back