• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Heatsink for the Money

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GlitchOfDoom

Which heatsink do you think is the best for the money?

A. Thermalright SK-7
B. Thermalright SLK-800-A
C. Thermalright SLK-900-A
D. Thermalright SLK-800-U
E. Thermalright SLK-900-U
F. Zalman CNPS3100+
G. Zalman CNPS6000-Cu

I dont know, the Thermalright SLK-800-U is really cheap up here and canada, 15 bux cheaper than when i got it. So its IMHO the best bang for your buck. But the SK7 is goo dto but hell the 800 is amazing.

Also, if you're looking for quiet, you could always get the 900-U and mount a big slow 92mm fan on it. Maybe not the best "bang for the buck" but the price difference is so small, why bother with anything less?

Lord_Zoltan said:

i agree, i recommend my 800 to everyone i know :D

I love my slk-800 as well. I just know that you are paying a decent % more for a very small % more performance increase. To me the performance increase was worth the price, to someone looking for the best bargain maybe not.

Namagomi said:
Also, if you're looking for quiet, you could always get the 900-U and mount a big slow 92mm fan on it. Maybe not the best "bang for the buck" but the price difference is so small, why bother with anything less?

I could care less if it sounded like a bowing 747 jet engine, I have a high tolerance for annoying noises. Delta has the highest CFM right?

So it's looking like the SK-7 paired with a Delta, I hear theres only like a 2 degree difference between the SK-7 and SLK-800 is this true?

if u are building a simple system sk7 will do more than enough. slight overclocks it can handle. if you feel like you need more power, just go for the slk800.

Yet another vote for the SK-7. I have it in a Home Entertainment PC that is located in an enclosed cabinet under my TV and it maintains temps that are less than 40 degrees with minimal airflow.

GlitchOfDoom said:

I could care less if it sounded like a bowing 747 jet engine, I have a high tolerance for annoying noises. Delta has the highest CFM right?

So it's looking like the SK-7 paired with a Delta, I hear theres only like a 2 degree difference between the SK-7 and SLK-800 is this true?

The cooling effectiveness of the Vantec Tornado and the Delta does not only depend on the highest CFM. It also depends on the dynamics of the air flow to the HS. I'd probably go with the Tornado.

Given the same cooling, as the O/C and the heat increased, so would the difference in cooling effectiveness between the SK-7 and the SLK-800. However, I doubt if there are many here who would say their SK-7 kept them from getting a better O/C so they bought a SLK-800 and that purchase directly resulted in a higher O/C. The SK-7 is today's bang for the buck HS. Want to spend more money? You can't go wrong with the SLK-800.

It also depends on how much cooling capacity you want to get from your heatsink. You may get the most cooling capacity for the money with an SK-7 but is that enough cooling to meet your current and future needs? First you must figure out if you plan to do any overclocking. Then...Does the room temp ever get over 80-85F? And is you case cooling good or bad?. So I would say if you have one of the above to get the SK-7. IF you have two of the above get a SLK-800. Or if you have 3 of the above get an SLK-900

Thank You,
Daniel

Back