• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wait for appalbred or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

I'm planning on buying a 1700+, 2100+, or a barton... I really haven't made up my mind. I have watercooling and I would love to reach 2.5ghz.

Anyways, do you think there will be a price drop when the appalbreds come out... I wouldn't think so but maybe. Should I wait for them to come out or just buy now? Of course you don't think they will be a better overclocker's chip then a tbredB do ya?

When applebreds come out, they will likely stop making the tbred line soon after, so the price might go up. Just a hunch though. barton prices might sink a bit, though I doubt it.

Why would the applebred (the duron replacement) cause the tbreds to be discontinued? Are you maybe thinking of the Athlon64?

I don't see why there would be a price reduction because of the applebred (what sense would there be in reducing the prices of your other cpu down into the range of your budget line?). Possibly there would be a price reduction when the athlon64 is out for a bit, but I wouldn't even count on that, at least not right away.

I wouldn't, applebred seems to be a budget processor only, I don't think it will be as revolutionary as the original duron. I would go with $85 Barton 2500+ I have mine currently at 2250mhz, could go higher but doing stability testing.

Why would they keep tbreds? Your 32bit line is bartons. Your 32bit budget-line is applebreds. Where do Thoroughbreds fit in? Overclockers arent a big enough market to keep a seperate line of processors going for.

seiferoth10 said:
what about durability...
they will only have 1.4 and 1.6 appelbreds for a while
but tbreds have the whole damn spectrum covered...

Currently there will only be 1.4 and 1.6Ghz appelbreads, but the 1,8Ghz is due soon. And AMD have already stated a 2Ghz part will be released.

I think it's pretty obvious that the t-bred line will be faded away. To your averige consumer it's the same thing anyway, a K7 with 256kb L2 cache. Who do you think cares if it's a barton with half the cache disabled? Who do you think actually knows what a barton is? ;)

I would imagine that they can transform the production line where they make t-breds into one that makes athlon 64's / opterons, and up the production of them now that bartons / appalbreds can be made on the same line.

Back