• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Latency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unwrittenLaw

I've read that changing PCI latency will help with sound issues. I've tried all the other fixes such as acpi/apic off, new drivers, active cooling on nb/sb, etc etc etc....The pci latency is the only thing I havent tried yet so I was wondering if there is a way to tweak the settings. I heard the registered version of Powerstrip will let you do this? But is there any other way besides dropping 30 bucks for this program, to change pci latency settings. I know w/ the NF7-s there is a pci latency setting in the BIOS, but I've read that changes in the BIOS will not do anything and that you need to change it for specific devices from windows....

Thanks for any input

Changing the PCI Latency was/is a fix for sound issues & other devices on the PCI BUS on VIA Chipsets. This started with issues of the KT133A with Creative products namely the SBLive! series of sound cards & continued on until the KT333CE chipset. George Breeze's patches, VIA 4in1s & VIAPFD patches were basically changing the PCI Latency in the BIOS, much like WPCRSET, from within the OS. I'm sure the NF2 Chipset can benefit from this as well albiet with different compromises.

You can DL WPCREDIT & WPCRSET with the proper PCR file to change the PCI Latency & a host of other hidden BIOS toggles from within the OS & have it apply the changes during BOOT UP. It's free but you will be looking at HEX Values instead of a pretty GUI.

Changing the PCI Latency in the BIOS is a better route to take for the contrary to what you have read.

Thanks for the info...In the BIOS, it just has one setting to change the pci latency...I dont think you can control individual devices. Its defaulted at 32....what would be a good value to try?

I don't know with the NVidia chipsets but you dare try 32, 64, 96 & 128. I read your post & I did understand your wanting to adjust the PCI Latency for individual devices but remember that this becomes a software reliant fix that really isnt your best option. Like I said earlier changing the setting in the BIOS is your best option.

Back