• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk800a temps are still high 59c underload

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

explicit7126

now don't get me wrong it's stable as a rock and switching from sk6 to slk800a made a big diffrence in temp drop 66c to 59c underload.but why is everyone getting really low temps then mine.i've tried reapplying as3 about 20 times now and follow all directions and still the temps stays the same when under load 59c.

here are my setup

a7n8x deluxe 2.0
1800+ @2.3ghz 1.725vcore
slk800a w/tt smartfan2 @4100rpm
2 intake,1 side fan,2 going out

mbm current/low/high/average

socket 49c/48c/49c/48c
diode 50c/46c/59c/52c
case 28c/24c/28c/28c

1 second interval

any suggestion the only thing i can think of is reapplying as3 but i've done that many times already.

Did you use the pads on the heatsink or did you mount without? I have seen several posts of people saying that those pads cause the heatsink to not make proper contact.

Also I found that the a7n8x reported very innacurate temps to me so its very possible your temps actually are lower.

Did you use the pads on the heatsink or did you mount without? I have seen several posts of people saying that those pads cause the heatsink to not make proper contact.

i've tried both ways and the temps stayed the same

Also I found that the a7n8x reported very innacurate temps to me so its very possible your temps actually are lower.

but aint i reading it right off the diode of the cpu

Its tough to say, but thats a pretty good overclock for an 1800xp-1533Mhz up to 2.3Ghz? You can't go by what people say here because they might be giving you the socket thermistor reading which will be lower then the diode temp. CPU voltage also plays a big part in the temp, alot more then the overclock.
You could lose a couple of C's from your temp by getting a Tornado fan. I switched from a SF2 to a Tornado dropped the temps a few C's because of its design. To me it makes less noise then the SF2. I don't run it full blast, I have it on a Rheostat and a thermal controlled fan connection...I can switch between the two ways to control it if I want.
Also 28 case temp, and 49 socket temp is really not that bad, if its under load. Right now with my overclocked [email protected] I'm getting 40 cpu, case 26....under load using prime95 adds on around 3C to my CPU temp. Keep in mind I'm only running my Tornado @ 2700rpms, which is being fed ambient air through a duct from a Smartfan 2. I have the thermal sensor from the SF2 on my SLK so when it gets hot it feeds the Tornado more cool air.
If I wasn't a duct, my temps would be at least 5 C higher then they are. If I wasn't overclocking and I lowered my Vcore the temps would drop a lot...same as in your case to.

Take the HS off, look at the base, and run your nail over it. I have found that many Thermalrights made in the past year have EXTREMELY rough bases. If the base is rough, lap it. do a search for 'lapping' on the forums to get info.

Take the HS off, look at the base, and run your nail over it. I have found that many Thermalrights made in the past year have EXTREMELY rough bases. If the base is rough, lap it. do a search for 'lapping' on the forums to get info.

i've lapped it yesterday already.i did notice a 3c drop thou from it

maybe where you live is hot? do you live in like arizona or something? its the summer you know :D

maybe where you live is hot? do you live in like arizona or something? its the summer you know

it is pretty hot in minnesota right now but my case temps seems fine thou

did you use arctic silver? if so did you put it on thin enough? when overused it actually insulates rather than conducts heat. just a though

The temp readings could be off. On my epox diode readings were low 60s for my sk-7. When I switched to this abit with the same exact setup I got low 50s instead. Both are "diode" readings so I go by system stability (isn't this the reason why we want low temps for our OCed chips?).

well i just ran out of as3 so i ordered as ceramic which should be here tomorrow well see what happens

Everyone wants to believe the lowest temperatures reported by a motherboard, and if its higher than what they usually see on forums, they get upset. Actually, your motherboard could be reporting temperatures that are far more realistic. As long as it is stable, don't worry.

Back