• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend me a heatsink + fan!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

highschoolsucks

Registered
My 2500+ runs at 55c full load, and 60c full load when you set the FSB to 200 to get 3200+ speeds :(

Clearly I need a new heatsink + fan, or just one, or any other combination of the two(hehe). I want to be able to run with a 200 FSB and sync with my pc3200 ram... so I'm looking for a 10-20c drop. BTW... I'm looking for *CHEAP* so no $50 SLK 900s plz k thx.

Best bang for the buck AMD heatsink is the thermalright sk-7. Get any fan you like to go with that. ALot of people like the thermaltake smartfan II because the fan speed is adjustable but if you know the cfm and decibals that you are willing to put up with in advance just pick an 80mm fan that meets your needs.

Thermalright SLK-800U + SmartFan2 combo works very well. A Vantec Tornado (fan) works better still, but is EXTREMELY loud.

Thermalright SK7, SLK-800 or SLK-900 w/ a Delta 80cfm fan or Vantec Tornado 80mm 80cfm fan.

yes, there is...
TR2-M2... this heat sink is all alluminum with copper core. (like a volcano 9) but, the fan is TIP-Magnetic Drive Fan... with a thermalTake fan speed controller. Get this.... $13.95 bought it at local store here in SA, tx.
goto this link...
www.tr2tt.com
you'll see the pics there.

sk-7 @svc is only for the HS... add the fan, and you passing $25... plus shipping. that's past 30 usdollars. and svc is currently out of stock on this particular HS. whooops!

Eh... anything on newegg? I'd be willing to pay up to $20-25 as long as it's newegg.

BTW, this underarmour rocks :attn:

You'd be wise to go with SK-7 $15.99 with pretty much any 80x25mm fan rather than with anything else.

If you choose not to, after your purchase you're likely to view any alternative as wasted $ in comparison.

there will be those that disagree with me...but for low cost cooling, the speeze falconrock II is pretty good for $9. But you'll need a different fan, the stock one is really quiet but pushes no air. I put my panaflo 40cfm fan on a lapped falconrock II heatsink and got nearly identical results to my lapped sk-7 with the same fan; 1-2 degree difference tops.

look at dan's data review of heatsinks and you'll see they found exactly the same as me.

In the end i'm still using my sk-7, I'd find a way to come up with the extra $10, but they do sell the falconrock at newegg

I am getting the SK-7. There is no need to be cheap when it comes to cooling. If I have to spend $30 to save $300 or so by overclocking my 2500+ to a 3200+, then it is worth it.

Now I just need a fan that:

1. Cools well
2. Relatively quiet
3. Somewhat inexpensive

In that order.

I'd go with the SLK800 + TT Smartfan II (you can get one for $5) and you can control the noise and cooling capabilities.

Are you running 11x200 on stock Vcore?

Yeah the mcx462+ isn't bad. I have one of those as well. Problem is it is very expensive and doesn't cool as well ask the slk-800 that I have now. One positive is that it using the motherboard mounting holes.

I like the panaflo 39cfm 32dBA if you don't mind soldering on your own molex.

Back