• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink for Soltek sl75drv2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I was reading an FAQ on the soltek website for my mobo and I read that only 70mm x 70mm HSF fit.

Quoted from http://www.soltek.com.tw/English/home/01.htm
Are cooling fan Swiftech MC462 (80mmx80mm) and cooling fan Apha PAL8045 (80mmx80mm) compatible with 75DRV2?

No, they are too big. 75DRV2 supports maximum cooling fan size up to 70mmx70mm.

I don't see what the problem would be, any ideas?

I will soon be using Hoot's centrifugal blower as a HS fan so I thought it might make sense to upgrade my stock heatsink while I'm at it - so I need to know what my HS options are.

Okay, no takers - don't be shy. ;) I'll restate my question a little.

I'm a little confused by what seems to be a bit of a language barrier - it sounds like they are actually saying that you cannot use a cooling fan that is any larger than 70x70mm, but the fan used on the heatsink couldn't get in the way of the motherboard, so I assume they mean the actual heatsink can't be any larger than 70x70mm.

The only barrier I see to a large heatsink would be a capacitor that is relatively close to the socket, but even that looks like it would be just up and out of the way enough.

Perhaps I will post a picture of the socket area and maybe someone else will notice what might be the problem.

My real question here is about a heatsink and cooling, not the motherboard - I can figure this out if I actually knew what they were saying.

So this is my real question:

What do they mean by "75DRV2 supports maximum cooling fan size up to 70mmx70mm." What dimension is that specification referencing? Is this a real issue or not? I don't see how it could really be a problem.

to me it sounds like that its saying that the base of the heatsink cannot be more than 70*70. If i remember right the base of those swiftys and pals have a base that is like 80*80 since its the same size as the fan thats on top of it. Thats how i read it, but im not 100% sure.

I took a look at the picture of your mobo...

I think you'll be fine with a larger heatsink such as the SLK series. The only problem I see is if the heatsink width is considerably larger than the socket - the DIP switches and Capacitors might be in the way - but this requires something bigger than an SLK-800 or MC462 can handle, I would imagine.

yea but don't the pal and swifty heatsinks have the same size base as the top? so unless something 80*80 can fit around the socket (which cannot) then you can't use that type of sink

Back