• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Locating Gigabyte PLL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Restorer

I want to find the PLL (clock generator) on my Gigabyte GA-7VAXP motherboard so I can give it a heatsink. Can anyone help me out?

You mean next to the Northbridge? I haven't been able to find any hot chips there. Actually, I couldn't really find ANY hot chips other than the usual suspects (CPU, NB, SB) and MOSFETS. Maybe I don't need to cool my PLL?

it definietly is not necessary... it should look like a little black rectangle with a "crystal" next to it

Aha! I found it!
pllchip.jpg

It seems to be cooler than my Southbridge, so I won't worry about it. My Southbridge is next in line for cooling anyway. :)

slightly different than mine, but at least you found it, if you have an old heatsink laying around you can cut it up and use it as a heatsink for your southbridge....

I just got a new Zalman NB cooler (just finished lapping it in fact) which will replace my old Northbridge heatsink. The old NB HS will go on the Southbridge now.

Should I lap the actual NB or SB as well? I don't have to worry about a warranty on the board because I got it used, but I don't know if it's really worth it. Is the material surrounding the actual chip thermally conductive enough for it to matter?

You don't have to lap it, and how would you lap it? you can't take them off and trying to do it while on the motherboard would prolly not work.

Back