• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do people do this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
[RANT]I was looking through the CPU database on the front page, and couldn't help but notice 3/4's of all the steppings were AXDA**** (at least for 2800+).

If you know how to overclock, and care enough to make an entry in the database, wouldn't you know what a stepping code is?

It makes it hard to interpolate anything from speed without stepping and date.[/RANT]

WHY WHY WHY

Dude take one of your avatars! Anyway most of the entries in that database are false as there are no screening measures. If you want something more representative and accurate look over at vr-zones database. Overclockers.com really should look at their own database and takes steps to improve its accuracy as for now it is pretty much meaningless.

A lot of people will not list there stepping code simply because they get there chip and install it. Then later get into overclocking, to check the stepping they would need to take the cpu out again, witch for some people is a pain.

A lot of people will not list there stepping code simply because they get there chip and install it. Then later get into overclocking, to check the stepping they would need to take the cpu out again, witch for some people is a pain.

I can see how this would lead to a couple of funky entries; but where do they get the AXDA****DKV4D, AXDA****DLT3C from? They read it off the CPU. It just happens to be the first line, so people assume it's the stepping code.

I guess I should re-phrase my question. How can an AMD overclocker not know what an AMD stepping code is? It's a fundamental part of our AMD overclocking efforts.

Could it be a peron(s) feeling bored and deciding to make some false entries, not knowing what a stepping code is, seeing AXDA**** and thinking "that looks good"?

Yeh, unfortunately there's always going to be the group that submit fake ocs and there's nothing we can really do about it but keep reporting and keep maintaing etc. It's really time consuming so people just go to the forums and read posts that have screenshots and useful information.

Chris said:

I agree, but also, its not like you need a 4 year degree in overclocking to build an AMD system and overclock it. I'm guessing MOST people now days overclocking are relatively new to it, just because its so easy and that attracts a lot more people.

Back