• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Boost for 12v Aero Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dickie chen

Registered
i have one of those Aero 7+ fans... but it is the one where they sell them individually as blowers. Im using it for a SLK or Swiftech mcx, but the RPM/CFM is much lower than the actual Aero7 HSF. So my solution is to power boost is from 12v to somewhere around 14-16v....

anyone know how to do so which out killing it?

i am also using an Enermax fan/temp controller/monitor.

-5v and 12v makes 17v... that'll give you a more than double boost... you can pull the -5v off of the atx header..

which one is the atx header? the main power to the mobo or the sub connector to the mobo.... maybe a picture or something might be easier to locate this booster key

My power supply rates the -5V at only 0.3A. I couldn't find any exact numbers, but from what I've seen the Aero 7+ blower takes more than half an amp. You might burn up your power supply if you connect it that way - check its ratings and be careful. My -12V is rated 0.8A, but if that's shared with anythng besides your fan you might be in trouble.

welcome to the forums dickie!

why dont u see how it performs on default first. maybe thats enough?

thanks for the welcome, Ryuen. Btw, nice avatar!

I have used the Aero blower using my Enermax fan controller, where the max speed is equavlent to the independent form. i believe if i ran it independently, it would run at ~10CFM also. The problem is that I dont see how could i boost the voltage if it is connected to the fan controller; it might screw up the controller. Anyhow, here's the specs to the Aero:

Size: 80mm
Bearing: sleeve
Air Flow: ~10cfm
Rated Voltage: 12V
Rated speed: 1,900rpm
Input current: 0.30A
Input power: 3.6W

(it does not come with a speed adjustor)

Back