• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Normal Temps for a 2.8C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

what should be idle and load temps for a 2.8C not overclocked with a slk 900U and a 50cfm 92mm panaflow fan? and what programs should i use to put the cpu at 100% load? folding?

There's no exact temperature the CPU "should" be at. You can use folding, prime 95, the cpu burn in test from Sandra is supposed to be pretty good too, for runnign your CPU full load. SETI works as well, but i find it doesn't load teh CPU quite as heavily as some of the other programs mentioned.

then what would temperatures should i expect? because according to my motherboard when the cpu is at 50% load the temps are 46C

edit: is the newest version of sandra MAX3?

Last edited:
(HR)Titan said:
yea
that temp is high
it will be Ok temp for 100% use but...

No, it's a hyperthreaded processor. XP reports 50% load when running Prime95, because it thinks there is a whole extra CPU available. By running two copies of Prime95 you can load it a bit more, but according to NookieN, only about 5% more.

wait, are you saying when sysmetrix says that im using 51% of my cpu that its actually 100%? then is 47C load a good temp? cause i want to overclock

Well, it's not quite at 100%, because with hyperthreading a little bit more processing might get done if you run a second program. It's close to 100% though.

I wouldn't worry too much about your present temp reading. Just keep an eye on it.

Now go overclock that sucker.

I think the question should really be what kind of thermal swing from room temp should I see with a given heatsink.

JoJoMoJo said:
I think the question should really be what kind of thermal swing from room temp should I see with a given heatsink.

According to the Intel tech docs, a 2.8C dissipates 69.7W. Unfortunately, this is a "typical" value, and can't give us much more than a rough idea of what it actually is dissipating under a full load. Your cooling solution should have a thermal resistance of around .25 C/W, again a ballpark figure, but accurate IMHO. This means that your core temperature should be around 69.7*.25=17.5°C above ambient, or your case temperature. But don't fret if your motherboard tells differently. I think Since87 said it best:
I wouldn't worry too much about your present temp reading. Just keep an eye on it.

Now go overclock that sucker.

ok, will do:D now what exactly is keep an eye on it? i have never overclocked before, but i have a general idea.... what should i make sure it stays under at load? 55C? doesn't that seem high for an slk though?

I've heard about the Abit motherboards severely overshooting the core temps. If this isn't your case, its most likely poor airflow that's reducing your performance. As the core temperature depends directly on the ambient temperature, an SLK900 in a 30°C case is less effective than a stock HSF. My basic rule, though, is to not worry about temperature until your overclock suffers because of it. So, overclock that sucker. :D

ok, just so you know i have 7 fans, don't think thats the problem, just reaseated the heatsink and everything got slightly lower temps, maybe ill try again, and the mobo temp reads 25C and my mobo is gigabyte.

Like I said, I wouldn't think much of it. I don't actually look at temps very often myself, as they are trivial, even if they really are high. Your cooling is obviously well implemented, and that's what matters far above mobo readings. If you are having problems with your overclocking, then try reseating. Otherwise, there shouldn't be any problems.

stan03 said:
ok, will do:D now what exactly is keep an eye on it? i have never overclocked before, but i have a general idea.... what should i make sure it stays under at load? 55C? doesn't that seem high for an slk though?

You really just can't trust motherboard temp readings much.

I'd say 55C is a reasonable upper limit for your setup though.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that as long as you keep Vcore at or below 1.65V and are stable in Prime95, you are in safe territory.

Back