• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-900A Question??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WedgeWhacko

I just recently purchased this heatsink with a tornado 92mm (119cfm)
anyways my question is that I want to take my 2700xp to a more robust OC....in fact I have yet to OC this chip.
I have 4 fans to provide excellent airflow.....
I need to know eventhough the reviews for the SLK900A say lapping not required do you think I should lap it anyways???

hmmmm 2000?...wow....well that is what I expected.....I notice that the rewards are very high if time is taken....

Thank-you for the exact answer I was looking for...
hmmmm wish fedex would hurry...lol....in the mean time I guess I'll figure out a good mod for the PNY ti4400.....to cool that...
any suggestions?

Before you lap check the base for machining marks & flatness. If it isnt smooth or flat then you will need to lap. Lapping is to get the contact area flat & even, not shinny. With my SLK900SS I only used 600 & 800 grit, no point in higher grits IMNSHO.

From what I've read, a lot of the Thermalright heatsinks don't have a really clean finish at the bottom - if you run your nail over the base, you'll feel scratches.

All you do is get a piece of glass, wet and dry sandpaper (You really need the wet part), and a wet bucket and slowly work your way up from the low grits to the high grits. From Hoot's guide a long time ago, anything above 600 isn't really necessary - he even did a comparison to prove it.

I do it in figure 8 motions and make sure you distribute your weight pushing down evenly and not in one corner of the heatsink.

CGR said:
Have a side fan blowing over the vid card is your best bet to cool it.

It may screw up the airflow as well. :/

you really don't need to go up to 2000 grit, only if you want a goodlooking mirror finish or something. and i would use the lap in one direction and rotate 90 degree method. Worked great for me.

Not supposed to use a figure eight motion i have been told. That can lead to an uneven surface, you want to go in one direction consistently.

Having a side intake going over the vid card will hardly screw up the airflow. I have never heard of it doing that.

Back