• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some basic help plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darksun

Registered
If i get a 3000+ barton with the 400fsb can i hit 2.3 ghz or some were near 3500+ by just rasing the voltage and multiplyers. Im getting a $450 viedo card and if i mess with the fsb i dont want to risk jacking up my vid card. Heres what im looking at....

Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe Retail

AMD ATHLON XP 3000 "Barton" 400MHz FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM

Gainward Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra , 8X AGP(Golden Sample), 256MB(256bit) BGADDR, dual monitors display

GEIL DDR RAM 512MB PC-3200 Value 400MHz Ultra- CAS 2.5, 2T CommandGL5123200B Value. DDR400, CAS 2.5, 184 Pin Dimm, 6 Layer PCB, Aluminum Heat Spreader, bulk pkg - Lifetime Warranty

Seagate 80GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Barracuda V ST380023AS - OEM

Koolance PC2-601BW Jet Black Color Full tower Liquid Cooling case Retail

ok ive been reading around how hard is it to get a 2800+ barton 333fsb to 2.5 ghz water cooled not with koolance but with somthing even better.

and is it easy to get the 2500+ to 2.2 or even 2.5

ok forget all that stuff im gettign the 2500+ for 90bucks at new egg with the koolance case. Can i get it to 2.1 ghz with out shortign the bridge or messign with the fsb? Just voltage and multiplayer oc'ing

Some suggestions that will save you major $$$ and headaches.

1. Do not walk, but run from Koolance. If you must buy a kit, look at either Dangerden or Swiftech, but preferably create a custom loop. DO NOT buy a pre-made water-cooling system. The performance of the Koolance system can be topped by air cooling quite easily.

2. It looks like the only place you're skimping is one of the most crucial. Do not buy any sort of value ram. this is the best memory for nForce2 boards.

3. $450 spent on a video card is indisputably a waste of money. I would strongly suggest buying the $237 Sapphire 9800 non-pro, which overclocks beyond pro speeds and out does the fx5900 in certain tests. Use the money saved on superior cooling and memory.

Your board has a locked PCI bus, thus increasing the front side bus will not do anything to your video card. Good luck, and I suggest that above all else, do more research and develop a stronger understanding of what you're purchasing, rather than throwing money at it.

Back