• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My xp 3000+ won't oc past 2.41 ghz. Is there anything else I can do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mystypiy

Here is my system:
Asus A7N8X dlx. rev. 2 mobo
AMD Athlon xp barton 3000+
2x512mb Corsair xms
Radeon 9800 pro

Heatsink/fan for cpu is a Global WIN CAK4-88T

My temps are 50C idle and 58C load when it is oc'ed at 2.41 ghz with the voltage at 1.825. The fsb is at 172 mhz and the multiplier is at 14. I can't even get it 1 mhz above the 172 whether the voltage is upped or not. Is there anything I can do to help boost my speed? Any suggestions?

One of the basic rules of overclocking is to isolate limiting factors, and then eliminate them one by one. Where you're at currently, there are too many possibilities. Begin by dropping your multiplier down to 5.0x, and leave your core voltage at stock. This way, the processor, cooling and PSU can't get in the way. Now try to attain the highest possible front side bus, synchronously, by loosening timings and increasing voltages. Then, once you've found your highest front side bus/DRAM frequency, increase the multiplier and core voltage to reach your maximum overclock. Good luck. Great system, btw.

My gut says you need a better heatsink/fan. Going from air cooling to water colling netted a 200MHz gain (18C temp drop) on my 2500+. You could get close to that by switching to sk7 or slk800 or 900 heatsink.

What heatsink and fan would you recommend? Which of those three would be the best? And what fan should I get to go with it?

the SLK900 is the best the SLK800 coming in close second and the SK7 a little bit further 3rd. However I would recommend the Sk7 because the SLk800 costs 30$ and the SLK900 costs as much as a new 1700+ from newegg :p. The Sk7 comes with a fan for around 25 shipped.

Is noise a problem? Mind being overweight on your heatsink according to AMD? Do you move your computer much?

oh you poor baby you, lol :D j/k, however look at my system and be thankful for what you have, even though you can't overclock it to what you would like. I'm not saying you are ungrateful, I just wanted to say that for fun when I saw the name of the post :p

Wow, I just actually read your post. You are running your CPU way too hot! I don't know how a cooler master Aero 7+ Would do on your processor (it says it is rated up to 3000+), but it killed my CPU with cool. It isn't as good as water, or phase change, but it sure beat the hell out of my old HSF.

Last edited:
I absolutely love my rig soundfx4, but I've talked to quite a few people who have very similar setups and they have had much more success overclocking. Plus I love seeing how far my rig can go. Yeah I am probably going to get a new heatsink/fan for my cpu.

My rig is moved fairly often since I am at college and need to bring it home with me at times. I am not so sure that I want to overload the cpu with a super heavy heatsink. As for noise I would prefer quiet. I would rather have the noise of a larger fan than the whine of a small one. I can deal with some noise, and my current Globin WIN is definitely not silent, but it is bearable.

Is the cooler master Aero 7 as good as the slk-900, 800, and the SK7?

Where could I find a 92mm LED fan that would fit either the slk-800, slk-900, or the sk7?

Mystypiy said:
I absolutely love my rig soundfx4, but I've talked to quite a few people who have very similar setups and they have had much more success overclocking. Plus I love seeing how far my rig can go. Yeah I am probably going to get a new heatsink/fan for my cpu.

Yeah, I know :D I was just playing. Oh and about the aero 7+ being as good ask the SLK-900 and others, I'm not sure. I don't think it is, but then again, I may be wrong. It brought my temps down from 45-50 c, to 30-38 c. I am just guesstimating that. I look at my temps in F. It was running at near 130 F full load, but now it runs at 100 max full load, and about 85-90 F idle. Phase change system would be the best, but they are expensive, and you have to worry about condensation on the CPU from outside warm air. I would say water cooling would be better for you. While you will have to worry about water leaks, it isn't as dangerous as phase change. Water is thicker than air, so it is easier to seal. I have never used water or phase change, but I have read about them. Hope that helps you a little.

Last edited:
mightn't it slip tho and the fan blades jam? when using 80 mm fans there is a lip wich stops the being pulled off by the clips.
also the fans would stand quite a hight above the majority of the heat sink so you would need to make a shroud (spelling?).

edit: im talking about the slk 800. the 900 is designed for 92mm fans.

Last edited:
Mystypiy said:
Here is my system:
Asus A7N8X dlx. rev. 2 mobo
AMD Athlon xp barton 3000+
2x512mb Corsair xms
Radeon 9800 pro

Heatsink/fan for cpu is a Global WIN CAK4-88T

My temps are 50C idle and 58C load when it is oc'ed at 2.41 ghz with the voltage at 1.825. The fsb is at 172 mhz and the multiplier is at 14. I can't even get it 1 mhz above the 172 whether the voltage is upped or not. Is there anything I can do to help boost my speed? Any suggestions?

what memory ??? 3200 / 3500 / or 2700? this will only go to about 172 .....dont even bother saying ive got mine up to 200mhz please .......if you have 2700 you need 3200 or 3500

andy

Back