• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2100+ Palomino core totally useless or oc'ing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrixzen

I have a AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74Ghz (Palomino Core). These cores suck because I can't get past 1.87Ghz. Is this the max overclock anyone has gotten on this exact same chip model? Is it useless for when it come to overclocking?

Some of these chips can run higher but you need good cooling and a lot of voltage to hit or go past 2Ghz. I would sell that chip on ebay and you'd have more than enough( I sold my XP1600 on ebay for $60!) to get a nice Tbred, 1700 or 2100. Both of those will OC around 2.3-2.5Ghz. They also run much cooler than the Pallies.

Yea mine runs pretty hot. I count the lower 40c's as it running cool and I count it running at lower 60c's as it running hot. I ussualy got 47c idle and 53c load.

You would definately need some extreme cooling to go beyond 2.1 Ghz, it is not worth the money. I changed my pally 2.0 because of this heat prob. I suggest you to go for a 1700 b stepping or a barton 2500 :)

Back