• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sonoorn

First of all, I'm rather ignorant about this subject. But i was thinking....instead of putting several tiny fans inside a computer case, why not just take the side off (or both sides, for even better airflow) of the case and have a large fan blow air over the parts? I don't know, this just seems like it would cool a comp much better.

Sonoorn said:
....instead of putting several tiny fans inside a computer case, why not just take the side off (or both sides, for even better airflow) of the case and have a large fan blow air over the parts?

Welcome to the Forums Sonoorn!

I've done this before while modding my ducts, fans & air flow. As long as you've got a heatsink and fan going, the large fan and open case will keep it cool.

This method will cool the comp better, but there are some minor drawbacks (depending on how you look at it). Obviously this won't work very well if you got the kind of computer desk that has a enclosed space for the computer. Depending on what sort of case you have, It might not look so great with it's side panel(s) off (purely a matter of opinion). A large fan will make the room alot louder, plus the computer components are more exposed and not as protected from everyday incidents.
These are just minor setbacks I think you might encounter if you take off the side panel. But long story cut short it'll definately cool better.

Or cut a hole in the case above the cpu in the side panel and put a fan in it to blow in towords the cpu. this way you get some more air thats cooler blown on to the heatsink and fan so they will do there job better and any pet or kid doesn't think its found a nice warm spot to goto sleep/get electricuted/stuck in a fan(if u put a gard over the new one.)

Back