• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4c800 chipset heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mac

im wondering if this big heatsink on the p4c800 will get in the way of my Zalman CNPS7000-Cu. and if so, what can i do?

(besides buying a different mobo)

yo AMD_Me, what zalman did you use to cool the 9800 pro and how is the fan set up?

NB Cooling

Who has found a need for active cooling on the NB of the P4C800 Dlx, and at what point was it needed/preferred ??

You really need cooling on the P4C-800E Deluxe NB - it gets hot to touch above 1000FSB with PAT and Cas2 etc.........some say it helps break the 275FSB barrier too...

Thats good to know. I have a couple 50mm fans laying around. I will see if i can superglue one on for some coolin' action.

The Zalman7000s fit fine.

Yes active cooling the Northbridge made a difference for me. I removed the sink and got rid of the goop Asus used. Ceramique and a fan taken from a Thermaltake Blue Orb made a big difference in temps and overclocking.

The Thermalake Tiger chipset fan should fit right on as a fan cooled upgrade to the passive sink.

I have to say i was playing around and tossed a 50mm fan on top of my NB to see what i could do, and was able to post at 293FSB, but unable to run apps till around 284FSB. That fan helped move enough air to cool the Intel HS as well. I was impressed. Now if i can get a new PSU to kep my rails stable i will be able to test more. The active cooling did make a difference.

I suspect that 284 to 288 is a max ceiling for all but a chosen few 2.4C's as far as a stable clock is concerned air cooled. Although I have hit 295 I would not call it stable. I will take 3.5c stable to the bank.

I now have a temp probe directly under the sink and touching the NB chip. With the BlueOrb fan turned down on the Vantec Rheobus to about 7volts and at idle with 286fsb it reads 40C bang on. That's at 21C ambient temp. This morning it was down to 36C. When I crank up a game I bring the fan speed up. I think if you can maintain temps like that you will not be held back by the Northbridge.

I want to try a mod that will take a Crystal Orb fan on a TtTiger heatsink. The sink is good but the Tiger fan is a little wimpy.

Back