• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nFORCE2 issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SCHMOGIE

Registered
Could anyone help me on these problems. I've got 2 boards the first is 8rda3+rev1.1 and 2nd 8rda+rev2. It seems they have the same problem. This just the problem if you're going to used win98se OS. I've noticed that when i was working usually running excel apps or word apps, i cant run at the same time listeniong with my mp3 music or even cd audio or even copying not so large files while running t the same time applications. It always creating distorted sound and the copying transfer rate is too slow. I've have my old board 8k3a+ running same routine but it didnt have those issue. Could that be a bugs in nforce2 chipsets. Did anyone of you encountered this kind of problems. Note if you're running xp its not that issue. I've tried everything updating bios and drivers. I thought before its just the issue of 8rda3+, but when i bought 8rda+rev2, its the same thing. Can anyone help me with this thing? :confused:

8rda3+rev1.1 / 8rda+rev2
Barton xp2500 / Tbred-B xp2400
2x256MB Twister X Twinmos DDR400 dual channel
64MB Inno 3d geforce2 mx400

Are you overclocking?
If so, does your Southbridge have a Heatsink on it?

I have an 8rda mobo and the I was getting distorted sound, I did some checking up here and it seems the earlier version of the 8rda doesn't have a Heatsink on the Southbridge and the SB and get very hot, especially if you overclock.

So I put one on and the sound was fine after that.

I think it does have a southbridge because he said it was a Rev 2.

I never use onboard sound as my experience dictates that these types of things are much more common.

My trusty, dusty SB Live! 5.1 is following me to yet another case even today.

Ive used both 8rda3+rev1.1 and 8rda+rev2. So NB & SB have their heatsink. And right now im still not trying to overclock it. Because im havong those kind of problem. For the ventilation and cooling. Im using Volcano11 and front, side and exhaust ventilation im using 350watts but its a bundled to my casing. Its unbranded. My temps reading idle 42 load 49-50. Right now, my 8rda3+ keeps on hanging, even when im running Xp. Just opened 3 apps simultaneously and there goes the hangups. Ive used also diff kinds of memory. Ive tried 2x128MB DDR400 Kingmax dual channel and 2x256MB DDR400 twinmos twisterx duaj channel. Ive already purchased vantec iceberg cooler for my NB cooling. What could be my problems with Epox? But something ive noticed last night, ive reconfigured my 8rda+rev2 and tried to use winme instead. Hey, its kinda stable right now no hangups but the problems of copying large files still there. But i can now run my office apps and cad with some mp3 running. My suspect is that it could be problems with IDE drivers. So now maybe you can add up your recommendations. Thanks a lot again...

So systems boot, but are unstable when you run apps.

My first suspect would be that Vcore is simply set too low for stable operation, which is easily tested by raising Vcore.

My second suspect would be that memory timings are set too tight for stable operation, which is easily tested by setting 2.5/3/3/8 timings.

If you are relying on BIOS default settings, either or both of the above is quite likely.

Hope this helps!

Ok i'll try that, but one thing i've noticed its too slow to boot once ive boot it under win98 os. It took me 5 to 6 minutes before i saw the window desktop and everything. Is it normal? Right now, my idea is to try remove the 2nd channel and instead use only 1 stick of memory and whats the best bios you recommend and drivers for win98? Thanks

(EDITED for clarity)

Hmm, have you run memtest or prime95 on these setups? I'd try to simplify things first so that we can test each component by itself.

I'd first run memtest in the current configuration. If you get errors, drop everything to default speeds, voltages, and timings. If you get errors this time, remove one stick and try again. Repeat with the other. You might have a bad stick of RAM somewhere. Also, yank all cards except for the video card to eliminate those possibilities.

Let us know how it goes.

Right now my settings are all manufacturers default meaning its a default set by the mobo. Anyways, ill try first to run the memtest and prime95. Does it mean, all my mem that ive used are not compatible? Ive used already 2 brands all ddr400, its kingmax and twinmos. Or maybe do ihave first try to overclock it and set all my timings to the lowest? Thanks again, i'll post again after i test it...

Good day to everyone, im back. Here's what ived done the couple of days. I took all your advices, and lots of things ive noticed with this board. Im starting now to appreciate this board. I can say this mobo is for overclockers only. My problem with copying of large data files while theres an mp3 music application with distorted sound was gone. Here's my setting right now, without modification yet, meaning active cooler on NB and heatsink on mosfets. Ive set the ratio to 10.5 x 200, then set cpu interface to Agressive. My mem timings right now set to expert 7-3-3-2.5. Ive tried it for 2 to 3 hours without hanging my system. One thing ive noticed though, when ive runned the WinME OS, tried copying large datafiles 5.3GB then add music apps at the background, there are no distorted sound anymore but the slow movement of responses are still there, but at least it working now. The + factor is when ive tried running the XP OS, wow whatta blazing speed even copying of large files with running of other apps... So now im assuming that this board was built to overclocked. Right now ive got a question, how can i achieved my timings to 7-2-2-2.5? coz when ive tried it, it hunged. Do i have to to set also my Cpu voltage, Dimm setting, and VDD voltage? Hope, somebody can answer that. Well, i havent tried to run the memtest and prime95 yet. Regards...:)

if you are using onboard sound, that could be the problem. are you completely sure that you have all of the newest drivers? try the UK epox site, i have had better luck with them for getting drivers for my 8rda3+

also...i am not sure if the numbers are the same, but use the 2.03 nforce 2 drivers, at AOA, i was told the brand new drivers have causes problems (not specified, but this could be it)

Back