• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why has CPU got hotter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joeytt

Registered
hello,

i have a duron 1.3giger,

Its about 6months old, when i got it at first the teps were about 30-34 deg, i havent tested the temp again until now, and its reading about mid 50's now,

I am having a lot of problems with unstablity , why would my cpu have got hotter like this?

tks.

Dust in the fins might contribute. I suspect if the fan stopped spinning you'd have a fried CPU by now. Another thing that happens is the thermal paste gets "cooked" and loses some of it's thermal transfer properties as it dries out. Perhaps you should pull the heatsink off, clean it up really good, then install with fresh thermal paste. Also, make sure you have good case ventilation. Maybe you changed a harddrive or other component recently and didn't get all the cables tucked back out of the way?

Dust can definetly contribute to your problems. Even if the heatsink is clean the area around the cpu socket should be cleaned, too. Make sure your case fans are working. Reapply thermal grease because as batboy said it loses its heat transfer properties after a while. Good Luck!

Matt

When you go to blow out the dust from the HSF/and case fans, use a small screwdriver to hold the fan blades from spinning while blasing them with the compressed air.... Occasionally, it's been known to kill a fan accidentally by letting them spin freely when dusting them out.

I've killed a couple of 40mm northbridge fans this way, and have read of others doing the same....

B.

I would rather bet it's seasonal, you said that you bought it six month before and it was probably winter, where are you living joeytt? If the ambient temperatures have raised a lot since then, that would explain everything.
Well for the solution, if your case is small, imost probably your case ventilation sucks, and you will need some additional intake and exhaust fans.

Janissary said:
I would rather bet it's seasonal, you said that you bought it six month before and it was probably winter, where are you living joeytt? If the ambient temperatures have raised a lot since then, that would explain everything.
Well for the solution, if your case is small, imost probably your case ventilation sucks, and you will need some additional intake and exhaust fans.

good point never thought of that

Back