• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Grrr.... MB Mounting Holes NOT present....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VegetaQ

**EDIT**

Front page came back up and I was able to take a lookie again at the heatsink roundup. I think Ill go with a Volcano 7. I actually think my roomate has one laying around so Ill pick it up from him. Or get it from Fry's on the way home. Looks like its a fairly close competitor for the MCX-462 anyways. Ill replace that 80mm Fan on it anyways with a Vantec Tornado (Noise is no problem for me, Im deaf from car stereo exposure). Gotta find an old heatsink so I can use the 3 pronged lug connectors instead of 1. Thats why I like the screw in design better. Makes me feel more safe nothing is going to fall off/break.

Grr....

Ok so I bought a new MB. And I figured since it was a newer board It would have mounting holes (My first mistake for ASSUMING). And I also purchased a Swiftec MCX-462. Of course it will not fit since there is no way to mount it.

So I am now in pursuit of a CPU cooler. I want to get one today so Im not willing to wait and order a slk-900 off of Newegg. So... if given the choice between a Thermaltake Volcano 7, 9, 10. Which do you think will be the best performer. I was going to look at the heatsink roundup on the front page but it seems to be down at the moment.

So if someone could steer me I would appreciate it. Ive been out of it for soo long im not sure what is the better performer anymore. I looked at the 7 and the 9 and the 7 actually looked better (All copper) vs the 9 (Mostly aluminum, partial copper). I may have that backwards so feel free to let me know if I do.

My only real source of computer parts is going to be Fry's and while they are a great store they don't have all of the nice heatsinks I would like. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
stan03 said:
is it the mobo in your sig?

No no.. thats my old Box.

New Box. DFI Lanparty Nforce 2 Ultra 400.

Then I got cheap and only got the XP 2800 instead of the XP3000. Oh well. Ill upgrade when it gets cheaper.

remember if you're getting a used hsf from someone be sure to lap the thing like there's no tomorrow and you're bent for the last degree...

cause sometimes you'll even find ones with the amd palamino info still on it,.. its funny as hell...

btw, 7+ should be about 20usd,... any more and you'd be better off with a thermalright sk7 off of svc.com

fafnir said:
remember if you're getting a used hsf from someone be sure to lap the thing like there's no tomorrow and you're bent for the last degree...

cause sometimes you'll even find ones with the amd palamino info still on it,.. its funny as hell...

YeaI should have some sandpaper in my old mobo box. I used to be a crazy lapping fool. (1000 grit). Now I lap but I don't go quite as stir crazy. Thanks for the advice though. Def a good point to follow.

Back