• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS3 on CPU + Iceberg w/AS3 on NB = temp rise!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UjinR

Registered
Last week I built my new PC.I used then the thermal compound that came with SLK 900 and left the HS on my Epox's NB.
My temp were ok (max 49C CPU, 35C NB) but I thought what the
hell let's get the lower.
So I bought some AS3 and an Iceberg for the NB.
I took off the SLK cleaned the old **** put AS3 on it etc.
I mounted the Iceberg on NB using AS3 of course.
Now my temps are 2C for both CPU and NB.
I know you'll say I put too much AS3 or that both HSF aren't sitted right.But I'm pretty sure nothing of the above is the case here.
Well that's it I just thought I should share this with you and maybe someone could come up with something...

how are you measuring your temps both the cpu and the northbridge? I really do think the as is too thick or the heatsink is on wrong. Also as needs some time to "set" give it a couple days and see what happens.

I use MBM5.
I know that it needs time to "set" but I didn't expect a temp rise...
The AS3 layer is very thin on the CPU die and just a bit thicker on the NB since I didn't lap it.

mbm5 reports northbridge temps? cool didn't know that. anyway either way the as3 on both should be like paper thin... the northbridge should not be thicker because it wasn't lapped.

To date, I am not aware of any Northbridge chip that has a diode for reading the temperature. Most likely you are reading a Winbond chip that gives you the motherboard, i.e. case temp.

you are right Colin,I am reading a Winbond chip and it is the system temp.Anyways temps are falling again so I guess I jumped to conclusions.Thanks guys.

stan03 said:
mbm5 reports northbridge temps? cool didn't know that. anyway either way the as3 on both should be like paper thin... the northbridge should not be thicker because it wasn't lapped.

if the northbridge is concave because it wasnt lapped then yes, it will need a thicker layer of paste to make contact with the heatsink in the center.

As a side note; the winbond chip could indeed truly get hotter, because the heat produced by the northbridge is being removed better by the new heatsink/paste!
Some of the worst heatsinks can feel cold to the touch under operation- because the heat is trapped underneath it... at its source.

WyrmMaster said:

if the northbridge is concave because it wasnt lapped then yes, it will need a thicker layer of paste to make contact with the heatsink in the center.

how do you lap a northbridge?

stan03 said:

how do you lap a northbridge?
You'd put the sandpaper on some sort of sanding block, like the bottom of a Socket7 heatsink that's already been lapped flat, with the grit facing away from the heatsink's bottom and (after removing the motherboard from the case and taken out all removeable components like memory modules) lap in short, straight strokes across the northbridge's top. Make sure when you're done use compressed air to get rid of the dust particles.

Back