• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More 1700+ Results...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vk85

Registered
I got my 1700+ JIUHB 0310XPMW recently and I'm currently overclocking it. Right now I'm running it at 204x10.5 = 2142MHz.
I'm still at 1.5V and it's stable when I'm gaming or in Windows but I get errors in Prime95.

204MHz seems to be my limit for the FSB; it won't post at 205MHz and the same for the multiplier, it will post at 11 but I can't get into Windows.

I've tried increasing the voltage to 1.525V but still can't get it farther. Should I increase it some more or would you guys suggest something else?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

vk85, there are a number of things that could be holding you back. What mobo, memory, heatsink/fan, and power supply do you have? Also what is your CPU temp (both idle and load)?

Assuming that you have a good mobo, memory, HSF, and power supply, then you probably need to increase the CPU voltage some more (maybe to 1.55 or 1.60).

The cpu voltage is kind of low, assuming your other components are good like Edward2 said then upping the cpu voltage would be my first guess. Going from 1.5 to 1.525 really wouldn't do much anyways, that is such a small increase it usually dosen't have an effect. A .5 increase usually does something, where a .25 increase does nothing usually. Good Luck and Happy Overclocking!

Matt

Doh! How could I forget to post all the important stuff? :bang head

Abit NF7-S Rev2.0
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ JIUHB:0310XPMW
Geil 512MB DDR RAM PC 3200 w/heatspreader
Thermalright SK-7
Thermaltake Smart Fan II
Four case fans: two intake and two exaust
Fortron 350W PS

CPU Temps: 42C idle, and 46C load.
System Temps: 29C idle, and 31C load.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll increase the voltage tonight and see what happens. I'll keep you posted and let you know how far I can push this 1700.

Not sure if my limited experience can help, but
I get similar results here. Though this older 266fsb board
requires the usage of higher multipliers to reach 2.1Ghz. (192x11)
At stock voltage (1.5v) my 307 VPMW will run stable around
2.1Ghz (192x11) but starts to get squirrly anywhere higher.
The BIOS tops out at 1.65 vCore, :( but at that voltage
this chip will nearly reach 2.4Ghz (190x12.5) stable.

Sounds like yours runs nearly stable at 1.5v vk85, so an
adjustment to 1.55 might be all you need to get to 100% stable
at 2.1Ghz. :)

From there on it's a ramp up with higher speeds the more voltage
you put into the chip. However, the ramp isn't a constant but
an acceleration curve.
Eventually all you will be creating is extra heat ... without any
gain in speed.

Sounds like yours runs nearly stable at 1.5v vk85, so an adjustment to 1.55 might be all you need to get to 100% stable at 2.1Ghz.

I tried 1.55 and got some good results. I was able to get it to 210 x 10.5 = 2205MHz Prime95/3DMark/Gaming all 100% stable. :D

Oh and I had another quick question...I started running Prime95 last night and an hour into the test my CPU temperature was 46C and my system temperature was 32C. At the end of the test (after running for 12 hours and 31 minutes) before I stopped it the temperatures were at 42C for the CPU and 28C for the system. Any reason why there would be such a big difference in the temps?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Back