• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

- - toothpaste performs better than generic "goop" - -

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fafnir

after a bunch of tests i've come to the conclusion that toothpaste (crest ultra whitening, the white thin stuff that doesn't have chunks or colored stripes in it) DOES indeed perform better than the generic "goop" that came with my coolermaster aero 7...

this is a sad day indeed and i'm not kidding about this...

at an ambient of 20 celcius and with the coolermaster aero 7 (fan at max) and a t-bird 1ghz oc'ed to 1.33ghz (i was afraid it was gonna catch fire or something, so didn't use my barton) and the abit NF7-S 2.0 apparently the generic goop made 47 celcius idle and 56 load while the toothpaste made about 45 idle and 55 load...

this is REALLY sad... i'm not kidding at all, cause the generic paste is just garbage....

for comparison, arctic silver ceramique made a 43 idle and about 50 load (it couldn't decide if it wanted to be 50 or 51) ...

all results were the best out of three mounts each for each paste and after every trial the base was cleaned off and relapped with 600 grit sandpaper.. and the artic silver was tried on first as the control.... temps were all taken from the board bios, v1.8...

this is DEFINITELY NOT COOL...

yes it does, until it dries, and water performs better than the toothpaste, until it dries, this was tested a few years back.

what makes the thermal paste so good is that it lasts for so long

yeah after awhile the liquid inside will dry and no longer keep it as cool, the thing about as3 is that it stays moist for a long time

Even vegimite does better than some thermal compounds, but it dries up, and then barely works. As stated in the previous post thermal paste, even the junky stuff is designed to last long, AND perform well. If the compunds were created just for cooling, and not endurance, the computing world would be in trouble.

but seriously though, can't we just use say some silicone oil and get it over with?

cause arctic silver also dries up too, maybe not as fast, but it will eventually dry right?

try this: sqeeze a bit of that stuff on a flat surface and let sit for a day or so...

maybe i'll retest some time and see just how long the toothpaste really is good for...

and i'll try silicone oil too, since it *should* turn out pretty good too...

Maybe all the small bicarb particles in the toothpaste act like a sort of "micronised ceramic" substitute? I'd like to see what happens when the water dries out though - turn PC on one day and temps just go through the roof :p

toothpaste performs better than generic "goop"

Be a bit careful with the silicone fluid as it has a really bad habit of creeping. You'll find it all over your moboard and case before too long.

LA

I saw someone else do this test a while back... kinda nifty.

Seriously though, at work we use anti-seize grease on a lot of stuff... and if any of you have ever seen this stuff, it looks just like AS2 and feels just about the same. Its supposed to be very small stainless steel particles in it, but if you feel it between your finders, it doesn't even feel gritty at all, so the particles must be really small. I always wanted to try this stuff and see if it worked... maybe one of these days I'll try it out.

JDXNC said:
I saw someone else do this test a while back... kinda nifty.

Seriously though, at work we use anti-seize grease on a lot of stuff... and if any of you have ever seen this stuff, it looks just like AS2 and feels just about the same. Its supposed to be very small stainless steel particles in it, but if you feel it between your finders, it doesn't even feel gritty at all, so the particles must be really small. I always wanted to try this stuff and see if it worked... maybe one of these days I'll try it out.

Hi, .... forum n00b here. :D
Couldn't resist a register as there are many good and
intelligent posters attending these boards.

I know exactly the stuff you are talking about as I have more
than my share of experience with automotive products.
If I'm not mistaken, "Anti Seize" compound is made from
Zinc and/or Aluminum not "Stainless Steel". At least the
brands I've used.

There are a couple tubes of "Anti Seize" in the garage.
maybe I'll try some next time the HSF is changed. :cool:

"i'll try silicone oil too, since it *should* turn out pretty good too..."
I think regular thermal grease is just silicone oil with extremely fine particles of zinc oxide.

Susquehannock said:

brands I've used.

I have the zinc stuff around as well, but we have a small can of stuff that says right on it stainless steel. Thats what caught my attention. I don;t know how well of a conductor of heat SS is but... hey, if toothpaste works.... gotta at least give this a try ;)

Edit... oh and

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Susquehannock said:

brands I've used.

Welcome:D

Good thing about that anti-sieze stuff is you won't need an adhesive ;)

Wonder how it would perform in a "firmly-pressed-on heatsink" type situation on non-cpu cooling, say the mobo MOSFETS, video ram, etc... Wouldn't need a clamp, or glue/adhesive as that stuff is thick & sticky.

Daemonfly said:
Good thing about that anti-sieze stuff is you won't need an adhesive ;)

Wonder how it would perform in a "firmly-pressed-on heatsink" type situation on non-cpu cooling, say the mobo MOSFETS, video ram, etc... Wouldn't need a clamp, or glue/adhesive as that stuff is thick & sticky.

Perhaps on small things like mosfets or ramsinks but I wouldn't trust it to hold on a big SLK HSF ;)

Re: Modding with Automotive products ...

Just thought about another automotive product
sitting around my garage that would likely work great
for a CPU Thermal Interface material.

Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket.
I've used this stuff on metal engine gaskets many times and
it's just like a thick Copper paint.

Permatex also makes a Copper based Anti Seize
compound as well. That would likely work better than the
Stainless Steel or Aluminum & Zinc based stuff wouldn't you say?

Now that I think about it, the Anti-Seize might be a better choice
because the "Spray Gasket" dries hard just like paint.
Unless you want the adhesive qualities to hold the HSF up. ;)

Back