• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to remove silicon based thermal grease?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShyGuy91284

I installed an SLK-800 onto my AMD cpu, and used the thermal grease supplied with the heatsink (which when I asked Thermalright, they said it was silicon based). I ordered some AS3 which sould arrive in a few days. I have read the guide to removing Arctic Silver on the AS site. Should I do anything different when removing silicon based grease in comparison to what the guide says for removing AS3?

I don't know what the site says, but what has always worked well for me for any sort of thermal grease, AS3 or Ceramique or whatever, is to take a lintless cloth and forcefully rub it off until you cant see any tint of it anymore. Takes a couple of minutes, but it works.

I just use whatever's handy, sometimes even my shirt! Just make sure you clean it with alchohol (denatured seems to be the best) and make sure there's no lint and stuff on it.

Back