• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New IT7 MAX2 v2.0 modded bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wam

I noticed that Phantom Punisher hadn't updated his modded bios to the lastest one, so with a little advice from him I've modded the lastest available one from Abit (DF) and also added the lastest Highpoint 374 Raid bios.

Other changes are;

1. DRam Voltage: set to 2.6V as default (up to 3.2v is selectable)
2. Video Bios Cacheable: Disabled as default
3. System Bios Cacheable: Disabled as default
4. AGP Aperture Size: set to 128 as default
5. Init Display First: set to AGP as default
6 ACPI Suspend type: set to S3 Suspend to Ram as default
7. USB Device Wake up from S3: Enabled as default

IT7-MAX2 V2.0 BIOS DF with 3.03 HPT bios

IT7-MAX2 V2.0 BIOS DF with 1.24 HPT bios

I use FlashMenu™ to update the bios as it's very straightforward. But if you are nervous flashing the bios from within Windows then do it the old fashioned way. ;)

I've tested these bioses and they work fine on mine board but the usual caveats apply!

I have the same set up as you ( well similar)

same board , same chip ( my 2.53Ghz overclock to 3.47Ghz )
idle temp 48c
Prime loaded 61c

Just curious what kind of them do you get???

I've just replaced my AX-478 (which I think was no better than the stock heatsink with a decent fan) with a SLK-800u. My system is air ducted so my temps tend to be a little lower than normal air cooling. Without the duct my temps were similar to yours with the AX-478, 45c idle 58c load. With the SLK-800 and Artic Ceramique they were tyically 8 degrees lower.

Right now, with air ducting they are 28c idle and 41 load. It's summer night here and the outside temperature is 15c. The upshot is I can clock to 3.47 now.

Duct6.JPG
CompSide6.jpg

Even though you can select 3.2v the onboard voltage regulator will only allow 3.0 ish volts.

BIOS modding is fun! LOL.

Ok. Although the increase from 3.0->3.1->3.2 does make a difference with my memory as my increase in speed corresponds to the higher steps in voltages.

So how many volts and what timings are your pushing through your memory on a everyday use?

I need to give it 3.2v to run stabily, this is with timings of 2-6-3-2.

Thanks for the modded BIOSs, Wam. What is the diff. between the 3.03 and 1.24 HPT BIOS?

I used to own two IT7s and though they overclocked well, the VDIMM over 2.8 did not work. Therefore my XMS3500 maxed out at DDR450-455 or so at 2-3-3-6 at 2.8 volts. It would not do higher no matter what. The same ram has done DDR480+, 2-2-2-5 at 3.0 volts on a 4PEA+.

I always wanted to own the later version boards so I waited for the price to drop. I just picked up a Max2, Ver. 2.0 last weekend for $75. It is still one of the best overclocking P4 'B' chip boards. The latest modded BIOS is just what I was looking for.

I suppose the VDIMM on the 3rd iteration still may not work over 2.8 volts, but I'd be happy with 3.0. Has anybody confirmed this with a multimeter? Actually Winbond Hardware Monitor in Windows is pretty accurate also.

AFAIK the 3.03 Bios adds some new RAID levels but is still compatible with the older one, but it can't create RAID 0/1. Best to check on the Highpoints site if it affects you though. Oh, and the 3.03 boots up with a cool blue screen instead of the black of the 1.24 :)

I had a v1.0 as well but the v2.0 has much better voltage regulation. Also my temperatures were more accurate. Did you try the winbond hardware doctor to find out the Vdimm?

Wam said:
AFAIK the 3.03 Bios adds some new RAID levels but is still compatible with the older one, but it can't create RAID 0/1. Best to check on the Highpoints site if it affects you though. Oh, and the 3.03 boots up with a cool blue screen instead of the black of the 1.24 :)

I had a v1.0 as well but the v2.0 has much better voltage regulation. Also my temperatures were more accurate. Did you try the winbond hardware doctor to find out the Vdimm?

Wam,
Do you have the driver for Raid 3.03?????? If I use that modded bios, when setting up RAID , which RAID driver do I use???? Abit had version 1.23 I think.

thanks

I'm using the 1.23 drivers with the 3.03 bios with no problems although I'm not using a RAID array at the moment just the RAID controllers.

Did you try the winbond hardware doctor to find out the Vdimm?

It was so long ago I forgot. I do know that increasing VDIMM above 2.8 did not eliminate #5/6 Memtest errors on my XMS3500. I believe Phantom Publisher checked with a multimeter and confirmed this.

I need to check this again with my board as I got the opposite. I managed to get rid of Memtest #5/6 errors with 2.9> voltages.

Is this with the latest MAX2 Ver. 2.0 board? Then that means the VDIMM is working and maybe Abit fixed it. Not sure when I will get to installing the board, though.

BTW, what color PCB is everybody's Max2 Ver. 2.0? I think there are two versions: bronze and black. Mine is black which means it is made by ECS, oh well. I prefer the bronze made by Abit.

Well that's with my v2.0. Mine is actually the bronze colour and I preferred the black of the v1.0. :)

Back