• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it ok to overclock a amd 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FeRReT_of_WaR

is it ok to overclock a 2500+ with 333 fsb at 1.83 ghz to, 2.19 ghz with 400 mhz fsb. the only fan its using is the stock cpu fan running at around 3900 rpms. and its over clocked now at 2.19ghz and its running at 30C/86F.

Welcome to the forums! We're going to need to know more about your complete setup to further assist you. Use my sig as a model of what to post. Although, 2.2ghz is probably a tough proposition with the stock HSF. I'd strongly suggest upgrading to a Thermalright SLK800 or SK7. Read this excellent guide. It should help you tremendously. Good luck!

2500+ are 166 (well 2 x 166) at stock.

You're running it at [200] FSB x 11 with stock heatsink and you're only at 30 Celcius?!?

I'm torn between "wow" and "no way dude" :)

As long as it passes Prime95 Torture test for 12 hours with no errors being displayed in Prime95 program and CPU (not case) temps stay below 50ish celcius, you're good and stable.

For further stability tests, Gautam's got the link to the guide for you.

It is ok to overclock any CPU as long as you don't burn it up and put it to good use by Folding for team 32 ;)

ok i got my signature update, hope that helps. and for some reason thats what my temps are. im running at 1.83 ghz now and its running 27C for cpu and 31C for the chipset, i have a big open case one of those compusa cases with a window. 5 case fans. and the stock amd fan. my mobo monitor says its spinning at 3900 rpms. and its cool to the touch not warm at all fells like the same temp as the case. and i did apply thermal paste just some cheep white paste nothing silver or copper. and one reason i think my system is cooler is because my power supply has 2 fans a 80mm out the back and 92mm at the bottem. and the psu is blowing cool also. the only thing that is slighly warm in my system is the Gforce 2 ultra.
its pretty cool im my house also. the air conditioner is on.
anyone know why my system is so cool
and one more thing right after running 3dmark 2001 the cpu is about 32C.

Your system is cool because it isn't overclocked. Your memory may limit your front side bus overclock, and your stock HSF definitely will. Look into upgrades for each, the cooling especially.

so if i overclock now whats a safe temp??? and oh yeah is was overclocked to 175 bus not 200

People like to keep their temperatures in the 40 - low 40s with 100% load. This would leave head room for any unexpected rise in temperatures.

There should be a big jump in temp if you run your system at 10x200 which will give you 2.1.

30c is great idle temps. Run prime95 for a few hours and see the system is stable and see if the temps are fine.

Back