• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockability of a not very overclockable chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aaron Burton

Hey-

I have an athlon 2700+ 333 fsb, and an SLK-800u running at 2.38 mhz (fsb upped to 206 instead of 166) with a 1.750 core voltage and a 40 idle temp.

could I overclock this chip anymore with aircooling?

edit: whenever I try to go higher on anything, Prime95 freezes before there's an error. Does this mean it's a PSU issue?

Last edited:
It means that you need to increase your core voltage, most likely. What PSU do you have, and what memory do you have?

I'm not sure what PSU I have, I think it's an enermax 420w. here are my stats:
+-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|Sensor | Current | Low | High | Average |
|Diode | 43° C | 39° C | 55° C | 44° C |
|Socket | 36° C | 35° C | 44° C | 37° C |
|Case | 24° C | 24° C | 28° C | 24° C |
|vCore | 1.76 V | 1.68 V | 1.84 V | 1.76 V |
|+3.3 | 3.23 V | 3.18 V | 3.33 V | 3.25 V |
|+5.00 | 4.87 V | 4.60 V | 4.92 V | 4.80 V |
|+12.00 | 12.80 V | 12.61 V | 13.25 V | 12.85 V |
|-12.00 | -12.80 V | -13.25 V | -12.61 V | -12.85 V |
|-5.00 | -5.33 V | -5.52 V | -5.25 V | -5.35 V |

I have pc3200 hyperx memory

If you have an Nf7-s or another board that powers off of the 12v line, you better as hell get a new psu before something dies. That is the most Crap-tastic voltage I have ever seen on the 12v line. On a decent PSU, and for stability, you should stick bewteen 11.8-12.15. 12.5 v will cause issues, and 13v can very well fry something. a PSU should be within 5-6% of rated rails and that one is about what, 15% OFF?

Well, you should definitely verify your readings with a multimeter and not the readings on the motherboard since they could be very well in accurate. Usually PSU causes reboots not freezes. You never mentioned your full load temperatures but your idle temperatures which don't help very much. The memory and vdimm you are using would help greatly as well.

damn I was just looking at my voltages, they are all jacked up too. eek! I guess thats what happens when you OC with a 420w psu that came with a $60 case :(

I've had no probs with ocing the 2700+ though

Last edited:
i wouldn't go any higher on the voltage with aircooling. 1.8V is just asking the chip to die within a few months. the core simply cannot tolerate it. there have been numerous threads about people whose chips always ran good temps that lost overclocks.

I'd check those rails with a multimeter they do look too high.

what are you using to find your load temp?
-your temps are excelent for an aircooled setup. what kind of hs and fans are you using?
whats your ambient?

Excellent? I thought they were a bit on the warm side.

I'm using a lapped SLK-800u with a tornado 92mm fan, and two 60mm thermaltake case fans for exhaust. I have a Tt Smartfan2 on the front for intake.

That's it.
(the Tornado sounds like a leafblower though)
Ambient is 22 degrees

If it freezes, it's unstable. Up your VCore or lower your OC.

Aaron Burton said:
I'm not sure what vdimm is. Sorry.

Vdimm is the voltage that your memory is running at. So you are running pc3200 HyperX ram, but what voltage is it running at? Default?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Back