• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+ blacks out...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobHague

Registered
Im just wondering, i have the 1700+ DL3TC and in an attempt to get 2.5ghz out of it i tried to do a voltage of 1.95v. It went ok at 1.9/1.93v but would lock up in Prime95 quite quickley.

So i tweaked it up to 1.95v assuming it would help. This got me into Windows but it froze up soon after. It actually made things WORSE! 3dmark locked the system up instantley etc.

So whats this all about? I never realised that CPU's could have a max voltage limit lol - I tried removing stuff like the ATX12V cable to see if it helped but nothing. Its quite odd as i had a 2500+ barton in here yesterday and had that running at 2.0v so i know its not the PSU or anything not being able to cope. :-/

I know its default voltage is 1.5v but its the same core as all the other tbreds, just ones that passed the grade at lower voltages... which is why im stumped as to why it wont take the higher voltage.

You reckon burning it in might help? Anyone got some decent site to help with this process to make it the most effective. :) ta.

XP 1700+ DL3TC JIUHB 0323RPMW (214x11.5) 2.47GHz ~1.875v
That is what you're looking at for your max speed, at this moment.
if your cpu is passing out at the slightest push of vcore passed 1.875v, then you've got what we call a limited vcore on your cpu. Anyways, 2.47GHz, is already 1GHz over your stock'd speed of the xp1700. Congrats on a job well done. Personally, if pushing past 1.875 doesn't get me a stable boot up into windows and/or doesn't past prime95, SupePI or 3Dmark2001SE, then it's not worth it. Your specs on your rig seems really good, so it's not a matter of failing to reach 2.5GHz, look at it that you've reached the over the 1GHz OC on that Tbred.

:)

Yeah i know its not a bad overclock :) i was just trying to get the last drop out of it hehe.

Well things are more stranger than it just not liking a 1.95v vcore. :S Last night I set the vcore to 1.95v and clocked the CPU down. It ran fine......

So i set the multi back up to 2.5Ghz and it crashed out instantley. Its not the temp either - they are quite low.

Thing is at 1.9v or 1.93v it runs 3dmark fine but under prime it will crash. At 1.95v its worse - it wont even run 3dmark. That was until i clocked it down then it seemed happy at that voltage :eek:

RobHague said:
So whats this all about? I never realised that CPU's could have a max voltage limit lol

It makes a lot of sense to listen to what this man said and stay with 1.8x Vcore:

Gautam said:
Although the percentage increase in each is the same, voltage is a squared factor for heat dissipation. I'm positive that 2v is too much even for a DUT3C. 1.95v may very well be also. The risk doesn't justify the usage of voltages that high...

my chip wont even go anything past 1.875V, you have reached the ceiling. I think its a good thing though, bcz it kinda protects for from doing crazy staff:D

c627627 said:

It makes a lot of sense to listen to what this man said and stay with 1.8x Vcore:

Yes it would and i am going to run my PC long term at that - however im unsure why this voltage limit only applies when the CPU is clocked high. I tried again today and i can get 2.0v with the CPU clocked way down. I want to hit 2.5ghz+ stable so i can get some benchmarks etc... submit a few scores and basically have the satisfaction that i managed it.

Overclocking and sense dont go together btw ;) if i was trying to be sensible i would have the 1700+ at Stock. :p I bought this stepping from a store that had PRE-TESTED it @ 2.4ghz. It was for the sole purpose of overclocking.

mata2974 said:
my chip wont even go anything past 1.875V, you have reached the ceiling. I think its a good thing though, bcz it kinda protects for from doing crazy staff:D

But i want to do crazy stuff :cry: lol. :D Nah but id accept that its hit its voltage limit, i mean ive never come accross a voltage limit this low before but thats fine. But it does 1.95/2.0v at lower speeds which puzzles me.

Come on though peeps - This is an overclocking forum and people are suggesting 'sense'? ;) *tut tut*

Last edited:
I know exactly how you feel. I normally run at 1.75v, and only 2.3ghz. This is more than fast enough for me and, and what I consider a safe level. but for benchmarking, it is nice to see the big numbers. It's your cooling getting in the way; what we call diminishing returns that's disallowing you to run at 1.95v, 2.5ghz. Your processor is currently pushed to the edge, so overclocks above this will be very temperature sensitive. This should give you some insight. Your only viable option really is to try running it at extremely high voltages, above the 2v barrier. Don't even bother with the temps told by your motherboard, btw. They are too inaccurate to tell you anything.

Your only viable option really is to try running it at extremely high voltages, above the 2v barrier. Don't even bother with the temps told by your motherboard, btw. They are too inaccurate to tell you anything.
I think it wont even post,

Gautam said:
Your only viable option really is to try running it at extremely high voltages, above the 2v barrier. Don't even bother with the temps told by your motherboard, btw. They are too inaccurate to tell you anything.

Rememeber to turn off your smoke detector when doing this, also AMD stock heatsinks rule for overclocking. Might want to have a fire extinguisher ready, BTW.

On a serious note, you better be watching your temps or you will definetly kill the processor. I don't want to hear you crying because you killed a $50 propcessor.

MY barton 2500+ also has a voltage ceiling of like 2.025V. IF I go higher than that, my rig will go from being stable for 6 days to being stable for 6 hours. Bump the voltage to 2.075 it will be stable for 6 minutes. Ignore the CPU stuff in my sig because I am still playing with my cpu.

bulk88 said:
On a serious note, you better be watching your temps or you will definetly kill the processor. I don't want to hear you crying because you killed a $50 propcessor.

Come now, no need to be patronising. :rolleyes:

I mean yeah of course im not monitoring my temps, im just volting up the CPU to the max without a care in the world. Look im even removing the heatsink while the PC is on to see what happens....cool smoke....;)

Yeah well btw I wont be “crying” if I fry a $50 CPU. As you say… it’s a $50 CPU. Ill buy another one. My main concern is being able to find another DL3TC.

I have a barton 2500+ sat at the side of me that the 1700+ has replaced. ;) Just because ive never posted in this forum before does not mean im some sort of urrm 'n00b' ? I just feel a bit of 'risistance' in some of my topics ive posted from some people... might just be my imagination.

Anyhow the reason i came to the thread was to report that after 4hrs and 20mins of Prime95 the PC fell over :( So ive set the voltage to 1.9v (from 1.875v) in the hopes that it will solve the problem. My load temps are 55*c at the moment (been doing about 40mins of prime) so i think im still pretty safe considering the 'max' temp is 90*c. I have the board set to shutdown at 65*c so i should be ok.

Last edited:
Back