• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please help a newb out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vicveg

yes, i'm a self-proclaimed rookie at this and i'd really appreciate some advice. I'm building a new system w/ nf7-s mobo, xp1700+ cpu, and 512 pc2700 ram. I'm hoping to overclock to around 2 ghz (fsb to 200).
What are some recommendations as to what fans to purchase to keep the system cool. I'm looking for cheap fans (hopefully from 3-5 bucks).

If im missing something major here (very likely) please say so.
If not, what fans should i get, and how many, and where should i place them?

Thanks in advance.

Why do you think pc2700 will do 200mhz? Mine certainly cant. Also, smartfan 2's are usualy the fan of choice here, but realy, as long as its not a tornado, its ok.

Whats wrong with the Tornado? I have a 92mm Tornado and i dont mind the noise. Maybe its cause i have my Ska and Emo music playing all the time but its really not that annoying the sound.

My Corsair PC2700 will do 200fsb no problem. Too bad the rest of my system won't.

For cooling your CPU, I recommend an SLK-800 or SLK-900 with a SmartFan II (or if you're not going to be in the same country as the computer, a Tornado). That's going to be the expensive part -- figure around $50 or so. As far as case fans go, get a bunch of cheap ones, and start experimenting to find out what works best with your case. My case works just fine with 2 7volted Vantec Stealth fans, but some people have 10+ high-speed fans.

Back