• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+ overclock question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I run the new Asus A7V600 mobo with full overclocking features.. I own a old 1700+ processor, which leads me to believe that it is the Palomino core rather then the Thoroughbread (someone could confirm or let me know how I check).. I'd like to know if I can overclock this CPU (not sure if it is unlocked or locked, or if that matters).. right now its set at 133fsb with a 11x multiplyer.. i set the multi to 12 and it worked fine, but set it back (worried i guess), temperature did not change.. the voltage is at 1.75.. I don't need to over overclock, only maybe by a couple hundred or even 100mhz.. My question is will this chip overclock just by manipulating mobo settings? and if it will, do I set the fsb higher and multi lower (166x10 for example), or do i leave the 133mhz and increase to 12x? Will I need to increase voltage as well?

thanx in advance.

yes you can OC it by just using the bios.. and its ideal to have the highest fsb your ram can achieve will using the highest multiplier that keeps your system stable.. to really find out how much headroom you have you gotta find out what kinda 1700+ you have.. .pally/tbredA/tbredB

I am almost 100% sure its the palomino so it probably won't be able to go that high.. I am hearing great things about the Tbreads on these boards.. So if I want to be 100% sure, how do I find out with software (i'd really rather not take my computer apart again, i just had it in 100 pieces for a few days, cleaning it and such).. In any case, my ram is only pc-2100 crucial, so I am not sure how high I can go (you have an idea?), but I will be upgrading to a samsung or kingston or infenion 512mb pc-3200, which is the highest my mobo will support i figure.. anyhow, any help is appreciated.. also, any word on the voltage i need to use when i overclock? what do you recommend i overclock my palomino to (its at 133x11 right now)

Click here:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=184363
to find out if it's a Palomino.

How high with PC2100 Crucial? 152 FSB with mine but I have a PCI lock on the nForce2 mobo. Your VIA does not. It has a / 4 divider under 166 FSB.

PC2100 cannot reach 166 FSB but at 166 FSB and over a / 5 divider kicks in.

So 133 / 4 is specs.

That means 152 / 4 is 38 that's 15% out of specs all your components will be running at. Maybe slightly lower FSB would be safer but some people are comfortable with 15% out of specs. I think it's the outer limit of risk.

PC 3200 would allow you to go to 166 where a / 5 divider will kick in allowing you to push your FSB to 180ish.

How high Vcore you ask? Nothing over 1.8x volts.

You may not get as far with Palomino but post what you have been able to do. Good luck man.

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350

thanx

Thanx a lot man.. I've been able to reach 1573mhz, but its not worth it.. I don't wanna raise the PCIbus any higher then 33, i am willing to risk the cpu by overclocking, but not any other parts of my system, so raising PCI is out of the question.. guess i'll have to wait till i get my mem until its stable at 166x11, but even then it will be the limit, unless there is a way to lock the pcibus on my mobo (or any divider mobo for that matter) by modding..

Raising the PCI bus a little is no problem, in fact a modest PCI overclock is good. It's when you go too far out of spec that problems arise (usually instability and data corruption on the harddrive). If you reached 1573 MHz, then that's 143 FSB. That really is not bad and you'll probably be just fine. I've ran systems at 150 to 153 FSB without problems before. If that makes you nervous, just back down to 140 FSB, that is a no brainer.

If you were able to change the multiplier, then that means it's a Throughbred, unless it's a Palomino you unlocked yourself (by hardware tweaking, that is).

If it's a Thoroughbred, check the stepping to see if it's a tbred a or tbred b. A's tend to be crap for overclocking while B's tend to be very good, so that will be a very large deciding factor.

AMD did make a Palomino XP1700+, marked AX1700DMT3C, 1.75Vcore default.

If you can change multiplier with your BIOS, it isn't a Palomino.

Hope this helps!

its a palonimo

The mobo does allow changes to the multi, but nothing happens to the chip as far as clock speed.. So its definitely a palonimo, not to mention that is what cpuid says, lol.. Anyhow, I am still weary about overclocking the pci-bus, someone here said its actually good to overclock by a few mhz, like from 133 to 140? That seems odd to me, I really would rather not screw around with that bus speed.. i wish that the pci was locked, but since its not, i am stuck..

will my palonimo be able to run at 166x10 or even 166x11 (it runs at 133x11 right now) once i get fast ram? will i have to raise voltage or anything else?

right now it gets nowhere at fsb 166, but i attribute that to my crappy pc2100 mem..

Back