• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard for socket 370 500mhz celeron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netrat

Hello everyone! I've just recently become very interested in overclocking. I have a old compaq sitting around with 256megs of 100MHz SDRAM and a sock 370 500MHz celeron. I'd like to start out overclocking using these parts as they are cheap. So I was wondering what motherboard would be my best bet?
Thanks,
Andrew

Welcome to the Forums!

First check the CPU database for O/C results on the 500Mhz Celeron.
Also note the mobos some list in their notes:

http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/

Since that is an older CPU, you are limited on what mobos are available. I'd check ebay for people selling those mobos.

Hope this is a good start for you. O/C'ing is quite fun, and we are happy to have you join us!

Also feel free to use the search function (it is currently down for maintenence though) to see what folks did with this chip back in those days.

EDIT: I forgot to include this... The ASUS CUSL2 series might be a good option. I have one running a P3700@ 933. You can sometimes find those on ebay.

I'd advise against investing more $ in OCing a 500 MHz Celeron.

If you can do it with what u've got (compaq MB with software OC if possible) then it's Ok. Otherwise, buying a nwe mobo doesn't make good sense. Since your case is also from Compaq, a 3rd party mobo might have probs with the PSU and fitting into the case.

Back