• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X-X just got one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigemike

Ok I was at the dayton comp fest in dayton ohio and I saw these new asus boards, they are A7N8X-X and it's an nforce 2 board that supports 400mhz fsb, 8x agp and single channel ddr (from what I can read in the manual and online, If I am wrong correct me). I bought it with an athalon xp1800 for $137, I figured what the heck I'll try it. Does anyone have any exp with this board, also does anyone know if it will unlock the multiplier for the cpu or do I have to do that manually??? Anyways I will post back after I get it all set up, It's built now but I still have to load the os. Hey for $70-80 range it is a good second machine board. I will keep you posted.

All of the nforce 2 motherboards can change the multiplier of a chip. Assuming that chip is a thoroughbred (and it's likely that it's a t-bred A, my 1800+ is) you'll be able to change the multiplier.

alright I got this thing together, here is the layout
1800xp, asus a7n8x-x, generic 512meg pc3200, ti 4200 8x 64meg, 48cd rom, sound blaster audigy. So far I have this thing at 9.5 x 200 gives me like 1900mhz, not to shabby at all I reached a score of 11500 in 3d01 and still have lots of room to move around. This is an awesome setup for the little money i have in it. I am doing a burn in in sandra on it right now. 3dmark01 got choppy towards the end, I am wondering why, I am going to play with it some more, it is running about 43 deg with the stock cooler. I might go and get a little better cooler tommorow.

btw with the single ram installed it calls out single channel, I wonder if I slap another stick in there if I will get a dual channel setup. It didn't say anything about dual on the box or web site. also I installed the asus bios web update and that thing works sweet, makes flashing your bios painless.

I have this board, and I love it! It's so easy to OC with it. I've never tried more than one stick of ram, but I believe its always gonna be single channel.

I have it running stable at 9.5x200 right now, but the heat is up, it is runnig 54c load temp with a volcano 9, I had to raise the vcore up to like1.725 to get it stable in 3dmark01. any pointers here??? I need to get my temps down, I am going to open up the front of my case some to see if that helps.

this board is exactly the same as the A7N8X minus the dual ddr.. so putting in 2 sticks wont give you that feature. Dual ddr doesnt even give much of a performance boost to the overall computer so you're not missing much hehe

I've got the same board and it won't boot after I raise the fsb more than about 10-12Mhz. I've got a 1700+ TbredB in it and a multi of 11X. Someone told me it does this because there isn't a way to stop upping the PCI bus speed and it causes instability.

there is an agp lock out, haven't looked for the pci but I haven't had any problems. if you think thats it, pull your pci cards and try it. also I have found that some ships only like certain multipliers. it is all king of a puzzle of trial and error to fing your chips sweet spot.

your welcom, let me know what you get, my xp 1800 booted at 2300mhz, but I think I bleew my power supply when I ran prime hehe. my 12v rail what fluxing real bad and then pow everything out. It was a no good 420w with one fan I blew it once before and they replaced it. It came with a case I bought I liked the case and didn't care about the supply, but then I went to get a new pc runnin and needed a supply. And it blew twice. I think I am going to get an antec lanboy for it. They are only $79 this week at compusa

Yea I was messing with it last night and saw my 12V dip down to 11V which is uhhh bad... So now it's at stock speed and a Fortron 400Watt PSU is planned.

*looks at mobo box*

::cue Charlie Brown::
GOOD GRIEF!

Yea... thanks for pointing that out 7keys. I'm looking for a new mobo soon anyway, this one will go into a folding rig and I'll get a Barton 2500+ for my main rig when I get the new mobo.

Back