• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4pin fan noise reduction

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

germanjulian

for 3 pin fans you can get fan speed adjusters but what do you do with 4 pin fans?

I am looking for a 120cm fan and I want to get a past because of low noise but its still to noisy for me. how do i convert to 7 volts not 12V?

converting to 7v is actually much easier on 4-pin fans:

on the molex plug of the fan, switch the black (ground) lead with the red (5v) lead

this will provide 7v to your fan...

you can use a small jeweler's screwdriver, or some other small tool to bend the little tabs on the metal molex inserts to remove them from the plastic tab... then unbend the little tabs, and snap them back into their new position

A molex connector is like so, yellow-black-black-red. The yellow is 12v the black are grounds and the red is 5v. To get a 7v fan connect the wire from the fan that would go to the ground to the 5v (red) line. You can do this on the molex connector your fan connects to. Make sure not to connect the molex(s) after the switch to anything other than fans since this 7v can ruin some of your components. I would direct you to a thread in the fourumns that covers this in more detail, but since search is down heres the simplest explination I could find, http://www.dazecoop.co.uk/daze/help/tips&tricks_7vfan.htm hope it helps

couldn't you just modify the molex on the fans side? seems like it would be easier. plus you would'nt have to to worry about damaging components in the future.

just switch the black wire in the fans molex so it plugs to the red wire in the PSU molex?

emericanchaos said:
couldn't you just modify the molex on the fans side? seems like it would be easier. plus you would'nt have to to worry about damaging components in the future.

just switch the black wire in the fans molex so it plugs to the red wire in the PSU molex?

this is how it goes, (if the fan has a PASSTHROUGH it is A LOT easier)

first, there are two thin wires coming directly from the fan, a thin red and a thin black.
on the molex (if a passthrough) the thin red from the fan goes to the thick yellow on the molex, and the thin black goes to a think black.

what you need to do is cut the thin black wire, strip it, and connect it to the thick red wire (if passthrough)

if it isnt passthrough, just cut the black and put it to the opposite side of the thin red wire.

What I did was switch the red with the black on both sides of the molex, and I have a harddrive on the otherside. If you switch it on both sides then the molex will work as it normaly does, 12/G/G/5.

Back