• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thoroughbred on K7T266 Pro2, any chance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shiyan

Hi, I have a pretty old motherboard based on the KT266A, the K7T266 Pro2.

I already looked it up at the MSI website, and they say that thoroughbreds will not work on this motherboard.

Problem is that I can not find palominos any more.

The slightly newer version of this board, the K7T266 Pro2U does support the thoroughbred though.

I am wondering. Is there any way I could get a thoroughbred to work on this board (through unlocking or something)? Is it a voltage issue?

What I have found so far in the bios:
Multipliers: 6.0, 6.5...11.5, 12.0, 12.5/13, 14, 15
FSB: 100~164
VCore: 1.725~1.85
VDimm: 2.5~2.7

I guess I could go buy a secondhand palomino, but I don't really want to do that.

thanks a lot!
I will give it a try!

involves removing a tiny resistor or capacitor.
will look further into what it does exactly.

Last edited:
Yeah, just did it last night and bought a 2400+ today.

It works!

I think the Northbridge is getting a bit hot though. I might put a small fan on it.

Thanks a lot for the link [T-A]_Super_10!

Well, I am very happy with the mod, although there are a few small niggling problems:

The multiplier settings are all messed up, and if I choose anything other than Auto, the computer starts up for some of them, but after another change to the bios, the computer will not boot any more. This is using the official v3.7 bios.

The multiplier settings:
6x: no boot
6.5x: no boot
7x: 15x real
7.5x: 22x real
8x: 16x real
8.5x: 16.5x real
9x: 17x real
9.5x: 18x real
10x: 23x real
10.5x: no boot
11x: no boot
11.5x: 19x real
12x: no boot
12.5/13x: 15x real
14x: no boot
15x: no boot

Also, FSB overclocking is pretty much pointless, I can only get up to around 136 stable! I thought the 2400+ I bought might be a dud, but that was not the case. Once I found how to change the multipliers, it overclocked to 2128Mhz with 1.625v, to 2300 with 1.675v.

Another thing is that this version of bios does not seem to recognise 16x133 to be 2600+, instead just reporting the speed. This is no biggie.

I will try flashing the 374 beta bios to see if that helps, but I will have to go buy a floppy drive first.

edit:

I just read about the +8 with the cut 5th L3 bridge. I guess some of the multipliers are working as they should be, but not all.

I think I might blow a few L3 bridges so that it stays as a 2700+ or 2800+. At the moment choosing anything other than Auto for multiplier results in problems rebooting etc.

Last edited:
Don’t cut the bridges to one of the reserved multipliers.

I had to cut the 5th 3rd and 2nd L3 bridge to open the higher multipliers on my Abit KT7A.

your welcome for the link

About your multi and FSB problem the CPU is locked and you need to unlock it. use a small peice of wire and just connect the 2 pins shown.
socket.jpg

Great, thanks again! I will try that once I get back to university. (at home right now)

Very nice system you've got there [T-A]_Super_10.

Back