• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

**Help me find the Sweetspot**

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

I am trying to narrow down whether my ram or my CPU is limiting my OC.

If you don't remember here is my pooter info.....

Abit KX7-333R (newest bios installed)
Muskin PC3000 512mb
1700+ JUIHB DLT3C week 312 CPU

I am limited by my motherboard right now where I can only take my CPU up to 1.75v up from the stock which is 1.5v. I am not sure if I need the 1.8v to get to 2.4ghz or not.

Here is my situation.

I am able to boot up just fine at 2.4ghz except I get an NTFS.sys error once Windows XP tries to load. This is with a 200FSB setting.

I have tried dropping it down to 180FSB and I can boot at around 2.36ghz but occassionally get BSOD.

I have tried relaxed timings with my memory. 2.5-3-3 2T. The memory was jacked up to 2.85v at those settings it I still couldn't stay stable.

I did some tinkering just now and found out that I can run this memory at 2-2-2 2T. I haven't tried for the 1T yet. I am going to see how far I can push these timing with this chip before I have to set it back to relaxed in order to boot up.

I am trying to find the sweetspot right now. I think around 2.2ghz and high FSB will suit me quite well.

PS=> When I first received my CPU, I was able to bootup my system with 205FSB, now I am unable to reach 200FSB. I dunno if they memory is slowly starting to fail me or what.

Update 1:

K I just cranked the RAM up to the fastest settings possible.

Enhanced performance on.
Driving strength = High
Command Rate = 1T

Looks like this RAM can stay stable with everything maxed out. I have to leave here in 10 minutes I am going to start cranking up the FSB again.

Update 2:

Changed multiplier to 12.5x for a bootup of around 2.1ghz.

Your motherboard only has a 1/5 divider, and as such, I would strongly recommend against using anything higher than 180mhz front side bus. This is probably why you're having instability at 200mhz.

I can run just fine stable at 192 FSB.

I am trying to find what ratio will give me best memory bandwith and CPU speed.

I have a feeling that in order to push this CPU to its max I will have to get an Nforce mobo.

Oh and for those of you wondering about my temps.

I have a SLK900u w/ AS2 and Zalman 92mm at full speed.
Full load temps right now are 37*C via Speedfan with 80*F ambient.

yes but your running your pci slots at 40mhz (200fbs) that means your h/d is running way out off spec thats y u getting errors when loading windows :)

Steven4563 said:
yes but your running your pci slots at 40mhz (200fbs) that means your h/d is running way out off spec thats y u getting errors when loading windows :)

**** !! I know I can get a lil more out my PCI. LOL!!

Do the Nforce mobo's ahve the 6/1 divider or is it a PCI lock?

The NForce2 mobo's have a PCI lock.

I have several KX7-333 mobo's and I have run them at 180-190 MHz FSB speed without any problems (knocks on wood). However, I would recommend not going over about 190 MHz since this puts your PCI bus at 38 MHz.

You are probably going to have to use the mobo socket jumpers to raise your CPU voltage to 1.80-1.85 volts, in order to get your CPU stable at 2.4 GHz. I am guessing that you might be able to reach 12.5*192= 2.4 GHz with the higher CPU voltage.

Back