• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooler for amd 1800+ JUIHB DL3TC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axion

planning for a good 2.2GHz-2.4GHz

SK-7 w/ Smart fan II
Volcano 11
CM Aero 7+

which is best? for same price range can i get better?

note SK-7 w/ SFII is much more expensive... volcano 11 cheapest...

volcano 11 is much worse. If you're worried about price i'd get an sk-6 and mod it for an 80 mm fan. This article shows how to mod the sk6 to take the bigger fan. You'd see great results for the money.

My vote goe to - SK-7 w/ Smart fan II

That's an interesting article about the SK-6+ but
I'm not sure it's a good idea.

I have done that very Sk-6+ mod myself and the results
were rather dismal. The larger dead spot of the 80mm
fan made the set-up less efficient than with a 60mm.
The only advantage was less noise from the larger fan.

Also did the exact same thing with a 92mm fan on an SK-7
and the results were similar. The 80mm actually gave lower
temps than the 92mm. Both were Enermax adj. fans.

Now, if we can move the fan farther away to eliminate the
"dead spot" below the hub, then we'd have something.
How about a piece like that angled ThermalTake
"ducting mod" but made to adapt a 120mm fan instead? :drool:

ok ok

seems like the sk-7 w/ sfII

i should be able to get 2.2-2.4GHz with that shouldnt i?

Axion said:
ok ok

seems like the sk-7 w/ sfII

i should be able to get 2.2-2.4GHz with that shouldnt i?

Provided you have a good board and RAM, that shouldn't be
a problem. :)

Best of luck! ............ 'nnock :D

What kind of airflow do you have going? The heatsink won't do the job itself. You'll need a good amount of intake and exhaust to cool that chip as well. I highly suggest a minimum of 200cfm altogether which isn't too hard (Not including the fan on the heatsink).

It should be fine though if you have good ambient temperatures and airflow.

i just bought an ocz dominator3 from newegg for 14.99 and boy i tell ya it was really nicely built with a 3/8 in base and heavy. the fins were skived really thin, and all together a quality copper hs. it also came with a low noise fan. if u mate this thing with a 80mm to a 60mm adapter and put a vantec toronado on top, id be willing to bet it would compete with stuff twice the cost

I would also suggest the SmartFan II/ SK-7 Combo... Here's a little mod you can do as well which will remove the dead spot from the center of the heatsink, and decrease your temps. I used it and it worked great for me.

First, take an old 80mm fan and cut the fan part out of the center, so all you have is the empty housing. Using some fan screws screw this empty housing onto the bottom of the smartfan II. Then grab the largest set of retaining clips that comes with the heatsink, and also 4 cable ties. Install the clips into the base of the heatsink, and let them chill there for the time being, don't try hooking them into the fan because it won't work. Set your now "double thick" fan on top of the heatsink, and run a cable tie through each of the 4 screw holes on the very top of the smart fan housing. Run these through the corners of the fan retaining clips, and pull them tight. It will hold the fan on perfectly. This basically provides a spacer betweeh the fan and the heatsink, and should give you a 2-3C drop in temps.

If that description was copnfusing, let me know and I do up some little pics in paint to illustrate my point.

i understand ya alright...

but rememer... ducting tape is your friend :D

Back