• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange IC7-G Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Havokator

Registered
I had my IC7-G and 2.6c P4 working fine, but when I tried to turn my computer on the other day it wouldn't do anything at all. No fans turned on and nothing started. At first I thought it could be the Power Button connector on the motherboard. I checked that with 2 different front panels on my Chieftech case. That didn't help so I tried a different power supply. The light is on when I plugged in both power supplies so they must be working, but my computer will not start with either power supply. I tried clearing the CMOS and I removed everything from the motherboard except for the cpu and ram. Even if the cpu/ram failed, the fans usually still come on when the power button is pressed. What could be the problem? I mean nothing will start at all. Could my motherboard have just gone bad like that? The light on the board still lights up though. When I press the power button the light flashes from green to red for a split second and then stays green, but nothing turns on. It normally stays red I believe. If anyone has an idea what else I could do to fix this please let me know. Thanks.

Well, welcome to the club !!! :rolleyes:

You are not alone and it doesnt seem so strange if you read this:

(old posts)

I have as others the same problem, for example Krag here:

quote:
Originally posted by krag
yeah I have had it from day one. When I am oc'ing and messing with my mem timings and I happen to select one that won't allow me to boot i have to re-boot 3 to 4 times before it will post. Hit the power button...all the lights come on...black screen...no post...repeat 3 to 4 times until post screen pops up.

It's worse now with the official 1.7v bios. It does it when my computer has been safley turned off (via windows shut down) overnight. I get up in the morning to drink my 60oz. of coffee and check my e-mails by turning on my computer and its like no-boot-city.....I have to re-boot 3 to 4 times before I get the post screen. I didn't have that problem with any other bios version including the beta 1.7v I got from Mica.

Anybody have anything similar?

And now it happens on the MAX3 too.
Last night i started to get problem to boot up and i had to do reset 2-3 times.
But then later things just got worse, 3-4 times before a post beep and there is more i couldnt even oc to 215fsb and sometimes even default settings did not even load the os.
Just before bedtime i could even enter Bios anymore, regardles of Cmos clear and resets.
So i was thinking, ohh great another board in computer heaven.
The exact same problem happend on IC7 and made my go by this MAX3...stupid as i might be i really like the MAX3 and all its candy on the board.
So the only last thing i could even think of was that (as i have seen in a post on this great forum) if i remove the battery and pulled out every single cord with power to the computer and cleared the Cmos over night.

I went up out of bed 4hours later (gasp) and pulled it all back to normal and ""BEEP"" *omg* the thing boots up.
I go into BIOS and set up all the oc settings as like i want them to be and do a reboot.
BEEP agian !! *the board is back from heaven*
I load os and its all back to normal.

BUT?? why, what happend??
I have seen ppl say, change the battery and it might go away.
That is if its a BIOS issu and nothing else.
Could be heat, since it got worse over time, now why would the BIOS get worse over time.
I meen from 2-3 to 3-4 reboots, no oc at all and then to no go at all ???

Abit will see a letter from me, be sure of that !!

But what could cause this?

/Best regardes Mike...

But 2days later my max3 was dead to...RMA..on friday this week.

Same thing happend to IC7. Exact same thing, only that the IC7 lasted for 2 months and the MAX3 for 4 days :mad: .

So i would be guessing it has to be the BIOS, later versions may have corrupted the BIOS. but i dunno for sure.

None of this may come to any help but now you know its not so strange.

// Mike

Back