• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my new SK7 and Tornado fan.... It's LOUD!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brennan77

Haha! I've always gone for the performance/noise sweet spot with cooling. But this week I went with the most air I could get. While I may need ear plugs my [email protected] is humming along at only 2C above system temp....during LOAD! Now this is the summer and I don't have AC. I'm not overclocking much more because of that. I've hit 2.3 with much worse cooling, so I suspect I'll be in that ballpark come fall.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience and say that this SK7 is a stellar value.

Also, if anyone has suggestions for a CHEAP, case mounted fan controller, I'd like to hear it. Maybe I could put something together with Radio Shack parts.

yeah the SLK7 is a good buy. my neighbor has one on his 2100 with a 33CFM fan and his temps aren't much higher. i'd hope you could get arond 2.4 -2.5 on that setup. specially if your CPU is an AIUHB.

The SK7 is an excellent deal. I'm glad you got to hear what the Tornado sounds like and people don't kid around when they say it's LOUD. :D

JIUHB? i didnt know that the 2100+ came in a JIUHB. i know that with my AIUHB 0250 i hit 2.7 on aircooling with a swiftech hsf. you should be able to get us around there with the tornado.

I have a Britney HSF(with 80mm Sunon) on my 800MHz P3, and I run it at 12v all the time.

da-gokesta said:
JIUHB? i didnt know that the 2100+ came in a JIUHB. i know that with my AIUHB 0250 i hit 2.7 on aircooling with a swiftech hsf. you should be able to get us around there with the tornado.

I didn't think so either until I got my chip. In fact, when I posted about it a couple of weeks ago, it was the first anyone had heard of it. It's a DUT3C BTW. Newegg advertised a guaranteed AIUHB chip. I would have returned it had I not hit 2.3 right off the bat with cruddy cooling. BTW, what type of voltage did you use to get to 2.7? That's a CRAZY overclock.

ZaP37 said:

Try 7- or 5-volting, it may still push enough air that you'd only have to increase its speed during a heatwave.

It sounds more like a hairdryer to me. :D

That's not flexible enough for me. I'd like to use the full power of the fan when I want it. That is why I bought it. A setup like the Nexus controllers has me thinking. I don't have too much fan noise other than the CPU but I might in the future. Hmmm... A trip to CompUSA may be in order. I just thought I could mount a simple Low Med High type switch in the back of the case. There's got to be something like the VAntec controller that handles a 4 pin setup.

"The tornado is the vaccum cleaner of all fans!!!!!"
"It sounds more like a hairdryer to me."
The Britney HSF(which has an 80mm Sunon) I have sounds more like a Pratt & Whitney turbojet @ full throttle.

brennan77 said:
There's got to be something like the VAntec controller that handles a 4 pin setup.
The Vantec Nexus controller can handle 4-pin setups (they come with lots of adapters) but you probably don't want one as they only go from 7v-12v. I have a 92mm Tornado on a Nexus at 7v and it's still very loud. You should get a controller that can do 0v-12v so you can properly silence the Tornado.

ZaP37 said:

The Vantec Nexus controller can handle 4-pin setups (they come with lots of adapters) but you probably don't want one as they only go from 7v-12v. I have a 92mm Tornado on a Nexus at 7v and it's still very loud. You should get a controller that can do 0v-12v so you can properly silence the Tornado.

The Nexus is overkill for me though I may need it in the future. The only loud fan I have is the Tornado. I was really talking about the Thermaltake controller.
11-999-112-03.JPG

brennan77 said:
The Nexus is overkill for me though I may need it in the future. The only loud fan I have is the Tornado. I was really talking about the Thermaltake controller.
Just make sure it does less than 7v minimum, or you probably won't be satisfied.

Back