• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copper staining

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steve978

I was lapping my heatsink but when I was holding the heatsink I believe the oils... or something sweat maybe in my hands... but the copper is stained in finger prints in a yellowish look kinda looks like rust? anyone have an idea whats going on with this? what can take this out?

i tryedrubbing alcohol but it doesnt seem to be on the surface it looks like the color has actually changed... will this affect the conductivity?

The acid and salt in your fingerprints have oxidized your heatsink. It will take another (fine) round of lapping or a chemical process (acid wash? I'm not sure) to remove that. They will affect thermal conductivity, as copper oxide and the byproducts of your skin oils are not very conductive. Just lap it again with some of the finer paper, and clean it with rubbing alcohol immediately after you're done, so this won't happen again.

Since it is just minor discoloration, it shouldn't affect thermal conductivity. But you might as well sand it down before you mount your heatsink. Don't use an acid bath to clean it, that will ruin you lapping job!

the staining isnt on the base its on the side fins where i was holding it I think I'll try lapping the side very finely i guess...

use catsup or tacobell mild,hot,fire sause. leave it on there for a couple of min and rinse it off. it should look new.

I feel so special putting a lemon on my heatsink :D my friends already think I'm wierd enough even looking at what temperatures my computer runs at and the thought of me sanding my heatsink terrifies them now someone will come down in my basement to find me smearing catsup in my computer :D lthings are so funny sometimes rofl I love it :D There should be a thread on "You know your an overclocker when."

1. You know your an overclocker when you start smearing catsup on your heatsink to get rid of blemishes :D

LOL really funny but I think that you do not need to smear catsup on your HS, it works because of the vinegar that is in the catsup. Well vinegar sounds also weird but it is at least easier to clean it off :)

Janissary said:
LOL really funny but I think that you do not need to smear catsup on your HS, it works because of the vinegar that is in the catsup. Well vinegar sounds also weird but it is at least easier to clean it off :)

thanks, i was about to go dunk my slk into catsup...:D

You could always attach the HS to the anode (negative) side of a car battery, dunk it in water, attach some pennies to the electrode and electroplate your block... it would still be copper colored, but it would be shiny again...

speaking of which... I think I'll gold plate my next block... if I don't make my next block out of silver... that's always fun for cleaning...

I don't think that works if you dunk it in water, you must use some chemicals, but electroplating is a good idea anyway because that would be %100 pure copper on your hs.

m0r7u71715 said:
You could always attach the HS to the anode (negative) side of a car battery, dunk it in water, attach some pennies to the electrode and electroplate your block... it would still be copper colored, but it would be shiny again...

I'm sure thats incredibly safe, and extremely logical....

Janissary said:
I don't think that works if you dunk it in water, you must use some chemicals, but electroplating is a good idea anyway because that would be %100 pure copper on your hs.

no it wouldn't....

I'm sure thats incredibly safe, and extremely logical....

ROFL:D

Back