• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My IC7's Chipset Cooler popped off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neptune

Well, I was working on my P4 today and I noticed a little clip at the bottom of my case... well I quickly realized that it was one of hte retension clips for the chipset cooler. I've been using the Zalman mod on it and apparently the pressure popped the clip right out. So now I'm just looking for the best way to fix the problem, any suggestions... I somehow doubt I'm the first one this has happened to.

Thx in advance.

yeah, it happened to me also, i haven't even assembled it yet it was already off. so i just used the other two, i hope this thing wont come off too :(, some people just use thermal epoxy to put it back on.

I was taking a look at it this morning, looks like it chipped the one of hte corners of the NB too... I hope it still works :(

**Update**

Well, I ended up just using two of the remaining clips. A little later, I;m going to put some Arctic Silver Epoxy between the sink and the NB and use the two clips. This way, if another clip goes, it'll still be there. The good news is that the NB still works and the board is working fine again.

A bit of advice for those using the Zalman Chipset cooler: Use a file, dremel, or whatever you like to grind those corners down a bit so that there isn't as much tension. You could also sand down the base a bit, maybe with a belt sander and then lap it real well.

Last edited:
Xymurgy said:
Search the Abit forums for the "paper clip" fix. I remember seeing a guide there on how to fix this, it included pictures.

Dang, looks like this is a fairly common problem. Thanks for the heads up on the paper clip trick.

For those interested, compliments of ajm786 :
Here's how to do it:

1. Obtain a paperclip, or a few, that are small enough to fit through the holes in the motherboard. I used a medium sized paperclip, I forgot the brand name. Also, be careful; there are a lot of paperclips out there that are brittle; you don't want a brittle one. Also, get some clipping pliers, and a white label with an adhesive back.

2. Untwist the paperclip, and identify the loop (there are two to choose from ) that is closest to the size of the original metal loop. This is the one that you will be using.

3. Cut off the extra, which will have a long tail. The other half will be very short. This is how you can tell that you are doing it correct. Leave it on the side now, and get to the motherboard.

4. After you dismount EVERYTHING from your motherboard (including the NB heatsink) and remove it from the case, take a look at the back of the motherboard. I for one saw where Abit had soldered the clip onto the motherboard, and it looked very poorly done. Anyhow, identify the place where the clip has broken off. Try taking the paperclip and probing throught the holes. You should see the paperclips ends come out through the rear of the motherboard. I believe there won't be any extra solder left in the hole, but just to make sure, do this.

5. Take the paperclip out, and apply over the small holes on the rear some of the white adhesive label. You know how big you should make it; use common sense. The idea of the label is to prevent the paperclip ends from scratching the PCB/traces or causing any electrical short at all.

6. Again, use common sense here. After you get the loop size to an identical height to the others, CAREFULLY twist the ends of the paperclip at the rear of the board. You should twist them so that the ends are interlocking with each other and AS CLOSE TO THE MOTHERBOARD AS YOU CAN GET IT. Once again, trim the ends as necessary; you don't want excess touching the case and causing a short. In any event, there should be enough space between the board and the case anyway, due to the motherboard/case standoffs. IF the paperclip snaps during the twisting, that means that you used a paperclip that was too weak/brittle. Start over again.

7. After you have finished, try testing the NB heatsink on it. The connection should be secure, with the paperclip loop being able to withstand the pressure of the NB heatsink WITHOUT bending. If it bends, back to step one.

Last edited:
I used the paper clip trink on my IC7. It worked great. I have no fear of the NB falling off and damaging my 9700Pro now.

I RMAed my first board because of this problem (arrvied broken from new egg) and the second board developed the same problem after 3 days use.

Isn't it funny the only loop that falls off for everyone is the upper right hand one. It seems more of a design flaw then a weak solder job to me.

You should see the soldering job on the top right loop of the board. (on the back) .. Its complete s|-|!t. The soldering job is cold and its no wonder why these pop off. I just got my board yesterday. So the paper clip mod looks nice but what do you guy do? Do you pull out the loop or do you wait for it to pop out lol. Seriously though, is it better to just yank it out and replace it now then wait for it to pop out? Luckily I have a leadtek FX5900 so my video card is completely encased in a metal cartridge..

I guess I would feel safe with that video card, but there are a couple bad stories in the abit forum about video cards dying due to falling NB heatsinks.

nope upper left 4 me :) , probably due to too much pressure from the chipset waterblock. Well i just super glued it back on and all went well. Didint want to take out the whole board with all the water cooling hookups.

Update:

After reattaching it the board is working, but it doesn't seem to overclock very well anymore. Before I could run 275+, but now I'm locking up at 250-ish. It must have been damaged by the heat, or possibly even the tiny chip off the corner.

Mine also broke off tonight, one day before selling it to a friend :( It was the one right above the ABIT logo on the board...

my luck sucks :p

I've lost one too, so have my brother.
Superglued them back, and put superglue on the other ones as well...

I hate to say this, but why in blazes (edited for content, see mods I am getting better:)) did they stop putting the holes for the nb cooler. I can't help but think this is just another way to prevent someone from using older chip set coolers on the new boards. does anyone know of a legitimate reason for the move to these stupid loops?

Archangel8 said:
I hate to say this, but why in blazes (edited for content, see mods I am getting better:)) did they stop putting the holes for the nb cooler. I can't help but think this is just another way to prevent someone from using older chip set coolers on the new boards. does anyone know of a legitimate reason for the move to these stupid loops?

Maybe it has something to do with an intel reference design. I wish they would have stayed with the tried and true mounting holes as well.

well it´s easier to change the heatsink with these, and you don´t have to remove the board from the case

that´s the only good thing :p

Back