• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SO I bought a SLK800....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
make sure you put those little white pads on the bottom of heatsink, where those little dimples are. should be 4 dimples...just put em there

other than that...nothing

800U...still trying to decide if:
A) I need to lap it since I don't plan on any extreme OCing just yet, more work needs to be done on the case first, plus I generally don't risk frying components unless I have a backup, which I can't afford now.
Anyone know if the 800U new in the package needs this done?
B) What compound I should use...been doing research on AS at the moment...remember, I'm not necesarily going for ultra lowest possible temps here, just a solid solution till I can mod my case and add more ambient cooling.

*edit* Oh by the way, do I need to remove the little black spacers on the CPU as well...I just got the HS a few mins ago and see the white "dots" as suggesed in the post above but I'm not sure if they are to be used in conjunction with the ones already on the CPU.
IN FACT, although I have read many of the posts in here is there a SPECIFIC thread that deals with installing this partcicular HS on My particular board, the A7N8X DLX R2, since most advice seems to be for either one or the other but not both.

Last edited:
I did not lap mine , and i used the stuff that came with the heatsink and my temps are fricken amazing, one day i might lap and and put AS2 or AS3 on it but for now my temps kick *** so no need for me.

Its your choice :D

I think lapping would be a good idea. Those ThermalRight heatsinks don't have a very good finish on the base leaving scratches that can be felt if you ran your nail on the surface.

You don't have to lap it too much since you just want to make it a smooth and flat base and eliminate any chances of a concave base which makes you put more thermal paste when copper can be used to transfer the heat.

Arctic Silver Ceramique is probably the best compound out of the Arctic Silver line up at the moment. Fairly easy to use. Just read the instructions on the Arctic Silver site before you use it. Just remember you want to make sure both surfaces (Heatsink and CPU), are clean (Meaning cleaned off with isopropyl or a type of alcohol), before you apply the paste and you want the thinnest layer possible.

I'm assuming you're referring to the black lil pads in every corner of the chip? No, don't remove those. They prevent the chip from being chipped and they won't provide any increase in performance, just an increase of the chances your chip will die from being chipped - I learnt it first hand!

The advice i would give you is to take your time when fitting it, and be very carrefull. Find a screwdriver that fits into the slot of the retention clip nice and snug, so it wont slip out and damage a trace or component on the motherboard. Same goes for when your removing the old heatsink, if it has the same retention clip design that is anyway. The bottom line is take your time and pay close attention to what you are doing, its pretty easy to get it wrong.

Chris: It's an 800U so he won't need to fear that the screw driver may slip and jam into the motherboard. He just needs to secure the standoffs into the holes and screw the heatsink in using a screw driver. ;)

Yodums said:
Chris: It's an 800U so he won't need to fear that the screw driver may slip and jam into the motherboard. He just needs to secure the standoffs into the holes and screw the heatsink in using a screw driver. ;)

ah i never noticed it was the U model thanks for pointing that out to me Yodums. :)

cool, thanks for the advice guys....I think I'm more paranoid then I need to be...or maybe not..I just do not want that cpu fried or I'm totally up thecreek with no paddle..
I just know that I have got to get this thing on right because I can't risk a thermal shutdown, which it's done to me twice already, with the stock HS/fan.

steele1743 said:
cool, thanks for the advice guys....I think I'm more paranoid then I need to be...or maybe not..I just do not want that cpu fried or I'm totally up thecreek with no paddle..
I just know that I have got to get this thing on right because I can't risk a thermal shutdown, which it's done to me twice already, with the stock HS/fan.

Take a look at this review it goes through the installation process and may well put your mind at ease a little, theres also a few little tips in there that may come in handy for you. I know you probably have an installation guide but just looking at how its done, illustrated may give you a little more confidence.

:)

RangerJoe said:
make sure you put those little white pads on the bottom of heatsink, where those little dimples are. should be 4 dimples...just put em there

other than that...nothing

uh oh... :-/

well my advice is to go and read their directions, dont try to figure it out yourself like i did :) :rolleyes:

Yeah, I looked at that review Chris posted..Awesome, exactly the kind of thing I was looking fo so I could see the process. Thx guys! :)

Thanks for the review reference

Are the little white pads in the SLK 800A, too? I don't remember seeing them.

mmills

steele1743 said:
Thanks for your help folks, the bad boy is now IN!!!!

Thanks.

What's the long black pad for? I found the little white pads, but don't know what to do with the long black pad that came in the same package.

mmills

the 2 long thin ones? They say they are for certain fans sorta like a shim to reduce vibration...I didn't use them in mine, because it wasn't the fan that they are supposedly for, however, I don't think it will hurt it to try them out.
*edit* err I have a SLK800U so I'm basing my opinion on what came in my package...if you're referring to the black pad on the metal x piece than that whole thing goes under the mobo, hopefully not pointing out the obvious at the risk of gettng flamed... :(

steele1743 said:
if you're referring to the black pad on the metal x piece than that whole thing goes under the mobo,...:(

Here is what I'm talking about:
MysteryParts.jpg

The 'white square' has the 4 little white pads. The long black pad is a mystery, though. I have no idea where it goes.

I think the 'metal x piece' is a feature of the 'universal' attachment style. I've got the 'A' style attachment, so the heat sink just clips on. I guess it wouldn't hurt to put the black pad under the mobo, though.

mmills

oh, ok..don't mind me :)
yeah that little black strip looks like mine except I got 2 of em...I didn't use them, but I'm sure I can find a home for 'em somewhere :D

Back