• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is a fan sleeve?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sifu quoc

im gonna buy fans from case-mod, but i dont know what a fan sleeve is.... do i need it???

looking at panaflo l1a's....

The description is a bit obscure, but it can mean two things-

1) sleeve wrapped around the fan's cables, looks neat.

2) sleeve bearing fan, as opposed to ball bearing. Ball bearing fans are supposedly better and last longer, altough sleeve bearing fans can look great on paper at least.

are you talking about sleeved panaflow fain tails...? If yes, then you efinietly need it unless you want to make your own tails.

stan03 said:
are you talking about sleeved panaflow fain tails...? If yes, then you efinietly need it unless you want to make your own tails.

Panaflows use sleeve bearings, which are quieter. Sleeve bearings tend to wear out before ball-bearings, but sleeve bearings are quieter (he wrote again). However, Panaflows use something like "Hydro sleeve bearings" which may be of better build or engineering. I have panaflows that have been running for a very long time and the idea of replacing them hasn't come up, so I guess they're still doing fine (spinning quietly and such).

Back